Varification needed for small trigonometrical Fourier series, PRESSING

In summary, the conversation discussed the function x(t) = 1/2 + cos(t) + cos(2t) and its Fourier series. It was noted that a0 = 1/2 and that the function is even, therefore there are no bn coefficients. The period T was determined to be 2pi and an was calculated using the formula an = 2/2pi ∫02pi x(t).cos(nω0t) dt, resulting in an = 0. However, it was pointed out that the actual answer is x(t) = 1/2 + Ʃn = 12 cos(nω0t), which would mean that an = 1. A related problem was also
toneboy1
Hi,
I have x(t) = 1/2 + cos(t) + cos(2t)

so I can see that a0 = 1/2
and that it is an even function so there is no bn
Also that T = 2pi so
an = 2/2pi ∫02pi x(t).cos(nω0t) dt

but when I integrate this I get an = 0 yet I've been told that the answer is

x(t) = 1/2 + Ʃn = 12 cos(nω0t)

which would mean that an = 1, but I'm not sure how.

Anyone?

Thanks heaps!EDIT: I just found another related problem I'm struggling with if anyone's interested:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=654607

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This has been adequately addressed already. Your x(t) is already a Fourier series. If you computed the coefficients to be different you made a math error.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question and concern about verification for small trigonometrical Fourier series. It seems like you have correctly identified that x(t) is an even function, which means that all the bn terms will be equal to zero. However, the issue you are facing is with calculating the an terms.

In order to verify the small trigonometrical Fourier series, you will need to use the formula for calculating the an terms:

an = 2/T ∫0T x(t).cos(nω0t) dt

In your case, T = 2π and ω0 = 1, so the formula becomes:

an = 2/2π ∫0 2π [1/2 + cos(t) + cos(2t)].cos(nt) dt

Now, when you integrate this, you will get:

an = 1/π [sin(nt) + 1/2 sin(t) + 1/4 sin(2t)] evaluated from 0 to 2π

Since the sine function is periodic with a period of 2π, sin(nt) evaluated at 2π will be equal to sin(0) = 0. Similarly, sin(2t) evaluated at 2π will also be equal to sin(0) = 0. This leaves us with:

an = 1/π [1/2 sin(t)] evaluated from 0 to 2π

Using the fact that sin(t) is also an odd function, we know that sin(t) evaluated at 0 will be equal to 0 and sin(t) evaluated at 2π will also be equal to 0. Therefore, the an terms will be equal to 0, which is the same result you got.

However, when you use the formula for the Fourier series, you will get:

x(t) = 1/2 + Ʃn = 1^2 cos(nω0t) = 1/2 + cos(t) + cos(2t)

So, there must be a mistake in the formula you were using to calculate the an terms. I suggest double-checking the formula and making sure you are using the correct values for T and ω0.

As for the related problem you mentioned, I recommend posting it on a physics forum or discussing it with a colleague or mentor who has experience with Fourier series. They may be able to

1. What is verification needed for small trigonometrical Fourier series?

Verification for small trigonometrical Fourier series is the process of ensuring the accuracy and validity of the series calculations by comparing them with known or expected values. This is important in order to confirm that the series is representing the original function correctly and to identify any errors or discrepancies.

2. Why is verification important for small trigonometrical Fourier series?

Verification is important for small trigonometrical Fourier series because it helps to ensure the reliability and accuracy of the series. It also allows for the identification and correction of any errors in the calculations, which is crucial in order to obtain meaningful results and conclusions.

3. What methods can be used for verification of small trigonometrical Fourier series?

There are several methods that can be used for verification of small trigonometrical Fourier series, including comparing the series with known or expected values, using mathematical proofs and identities, and conducting numerical experiments with different values of the series parameters.

4. How can pressing affect the verification process of small trigonometrical Fourier series?

Pressing, or the use of pressure or force, can affect the verification process of small trigonometrical Fourier series by altering the original function or data. This can result in changes to the series calculations and potentially affect the accuracy of the verification process. It is important to carefully consider the effects of pressing and adjust for them accordingly in the verification process.

5. What are some common challenges in verifying small trigonometrical Fourier series?

Some common challenges in verifying small trigonometrical Fourier series include identifying errors or discrepancies in the series calculations, accounting for the effects of pressing or other external factors, and determining the appropriate methods and techniques for verification. It is also important to consider the limitations and assumptions of the series and adjust for them accordingly in the verification process.