Theoretical or Experimental Applied Physics?

In summary: A theoretical applied physicist would do research in theoretical physics.An experimental applied physicist would do research in experimental physics.Which one has a higher chance of working in research at a university?Which one has a higher chance of becoming a professor and having research on the side?
ElectricC
Hello everyone,

I'm considering becoming an Applied Physicist. I just need some help. Here are the questions I would like answered.

-What would a Theoretical Applied Physicist research?

-What would a Experimental Applied Physicist research?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of working in research at a university?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of becoming a professor and having research on the side?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of curiosity: What is a "Theoretical Applied Physicist"?
Google just gives 12 hits, 5 of them are some obscure non-english text, some sites list them as two different options and the first hit I see is this thread (google is quick!).

Do you have any specific field in mind, if you consider "applied physics"? Physics is applied in many different fields.

ElectricC said:
Hello everyone,

I'm considering becoming an Applied Physicist. I just need some help. Here are the questions I would like answered.

-What would a Theoretical Applied Physicist research?

-What would a Experimental Applied Physicist research?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of working in research at a university?

-Which one would have more of a likely hood of becoming a professor and having research on the side?

Thank you :)

google applied physics research, standford, columbia, utexas, ucolorado, umichigan have full on phd programs under the name applied physics; they tend to be experimental condensed matter and nuclear physics and they mix with engineering but there's lots of other areas.

I was looking at Caltech's website and it said they have courses for both. So, it could just mean Applied Physics is put into one category?

I just looked further into this..Yeah, Applied Physics is both Theoretical and Experimental it seems.

ElectricC said:
I just looked further into this..Yeah, Applied Physics is both Theoretical and Experimental it seems.

Under my conception applied physics is more like physics engineering.
There're 3 division: theoretical, experimental and applied.

I see it more as a two dimensional space. One dimension is spanned by "Pure"/Applied. The other is spanned by Theoretical/Experimental. Each research project has its own value for how pure vs applied it is and for how theoretical vs experimental it is. There is theoretical applied physics and there is also experimental pure physics, and of course the other common combinations as well.

1. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental applied physics?

Theoretical applied physics involves developing mathematical models and theories to explain and predict physical phenomena, while experimental applied physics involves designing and conducting experiments to test these theories and gather new data.

2. How are theoretical and experimental applied physics used in the real world?

Theoretical applied physics is used to develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the natural world, while experimental applied physics helps to validate these theories and has practical applications in fields such as engineering and material science.

3. What skills are required for a career in theoretical or experimental applied physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is essential for both theoretical and experimental applied physics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are important for analyzing and presenting complex data and findings.

4. Can theoretical and experimental applied physics be combined in research?

Yes, many physicists use a combination of theoretical and experimental approaches in their research. Theoretical models can guide experimental design and analysis, while experimental data can validate or refine theories.

5. What are the current areas of research in theoretical and experimental applied physics?

Some current areas of research include quantum computing, renewable energy, nanotechnology, and advanced materials. Additionally, there is ongoing research in fundamental physics topics such as dark matter, black holes, and the origins of the universe.