Whats the diff between calc based and algerbra

• Thread starter LT72884
  • Start date
In summary, Leibniz notation is used in calculus based physics. Calculus is used to derive Newton's equations of motion.
LT72884
Ok, so i just finished my first semester ever of calculus. I have never ever made it this far in math in my life period. I am way excited. But I am still new to calc and not sure what everything means or is. Physics 1 at my school is what they call calc based. I don't understand what they mean. apparently there is a algerbra based physics as well.

isnt physics physics? i mean i know that f=ma. but how does that involve calc? basically I am looking for a single problem that can be solved algebraically and or with calc so i can see the difference. if that makes sense.

i know that freq=1/tone and via basic math tone=1/freq but who did we get those basic equations? is that where the calc comes in?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
An algebra based physics is just that there is no calculus; all problems can be solved using algebra. Trigonometry would also come into play in algebra based physics too.

Calculus based physics can get deeper into physics concepts where now you can derive the formulas that are only stated and used in a algebra physics course. Calculus gives you some powerful methods to solve more real world physics problems.

Calculus is when 'division' is not actually 'division' :).

xAxis said:
Calculus is when 'division' is not actually 'division' :).

:confused:

micromass said:
:confused:

Leibniz notation, I assume. Still doesn't make much sense in the context of the thread, though.

Calculus based physics derives Newton's equations of motion from each other using calculus. Algebraic physics would likely just ignore that.

Simple answer.

Algebra based Physics: Given some random facts that are taken at face value, solve some simple physics problems.

Calculus based Physics: Given some general laws of physics, realize the random facts aren't random, at all; that there's a very good reason those formulas can't help but be true.

Algebra based: Learn Kepler's 2nd Law and Kepler's 3rd Law.
Calculus based: It's the same damn law, dammit!
(Okay, actually it doesn't take calculus to realize the latter, but the difference between algebra based physics classes and calculus based physics classes is usually a lot more than just using calculus once in a while in a calculus based class. It's just a lot more in depth.)

I recommend taking calculus based physics. Anything else is just watered down.

ok, let me see if i get this right. basically calc based physics is where i find out how to get to the algerbra based physics such as f=ma? so i derive and use what i just learned to get to the basic algerbra equations?

i think the hardest part of calculus for me was optimization and finding the position function based on the derivative (velocity) so basically going backwards. However, integration was fun and not to bad at all. U substitution is pretty cool.

LT72884 said:
ok, let me see if i get this right. basically calc based physics is where i find out how to get to the algerbra based physics such as f=ma? so i derive and use what i just learned to get to the basic algerbra equations?

i think the hardest part of calculus for me was optimization and finding the position function based on the derivative (velocity) so basically going backwards. However, integration was fun and not to bad at all. U substitution is pretty cool.

No its more like starting with F=ma applying it to a problem by setting up the appropriate calculus integral with applicable constraints along the way and then solving and reducing it to one of the algebra based equations that you then solve to get the answer.

An example of a constraint is the string of a pendulum constrains the bob to moving along a circular arc or the inclined plane constrains the object to fall along the incline...

1. What is the difference between calculus-based and algebra-based science courses?

Calculus-based science courses, such as physics, use calculus to solve problems and understand concepts. Algebra-based science courses, on the other hand, use algebraic equations to solve problems and understand concepts. The main difference is that calculus-based courses require a stronger foundation in calculus, while algebra-based courses only require a basic understanding of algebra.

2. Which type of science course is more difficult, calculus-based or algebra-based?

The difficulty of a course depends on the student's individual strengths and weaknesses. Some students may find calculus-based courses more challenging due to the use of calculus, while others may find algebra-based courses more difficult due to the use of algebraic equations. It is important to choose a course that aligns with your strengths and interests.

3. Are calculus-based science courses only for mathematically inclined students?

No, calculus-based science courses are not only for mathematically inclined students. While a strong foundation in calculus may be helpful, these courses are designed to teach students how to apply calculus to solve scientific problems. With dedication and hard work, any student can succeed in a calculus-based science course.

4. Can I switch from an algebra-based science course to a calculus-based one?

It is possible to switch from an algebra-based science course to a calculus-based one, but it is important to assess your current knowledge and skills in calculus. If you feel confident in your understanding of calculus, you may be able to switch to a calculus-based course. However, if you have never taken a calculus course before, it may be better to start with an algebra-based course to build a strong foundation.

5. Which type of science course is more beneficial for future careers in science?

Both calculus-based and algebra-based science courses can be beneficial for future careers in science. It ultimately depends on the specific field and the type of work you will be doing. Some fields may require a stronger understanding of calculus, while others may primarily use algebraic equations. It is important to research the requirements for your desired career path and choose a course that aligns with those requirements.