Effective Potential Method for Solar System Orbits

In summary, this student found out how to calculate the orbits of bodies in the Solar System using the effective potential method. They explained that the energy of an orbiting body is: E=KE+PE. They also explained that if you have a body with a V_eff that is constant, then the energy is in terms of the radius rate of change.
orange
Hey everyone!

I have an exam question, but I don't know how to approach it. The question is,

"Discuss orbits of bodies in the Solar System using the effective potential method."

I thought about every planet having a certain amount of kinetic and potential energy, showing how they balance out as a planet orbits the Sun. During lectures we havn't mentioned the effective potential, so hopefully someone here will enlighten me. I really hope so, and it would make me very grateful.

Orange

Physics news on Phys.org
orange said:
Hey everyone!

I have an exam question, but I don't know how to approach it. The question is,

"Discuss orbits of bodies in the Solar System using the effective potential method."

I thought about every planet having a certain amount of kinetic and potential energy, showing how they balance out as a planet orbits the Sun. During lectures we havn't mentioned the effective potential, so hopefully someone here
The energy of an orbiting body is:

[tex]E = KE + PE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + V(r) = constant[/tex]

If you break the velocity into a radial and tangential component and use polar coordinates:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{1}{2}m(rd\theta/dt)^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{1}{2}mr^2\omega^2[/tex]

Substituting angular momentum [itex]L = mr^2\omega[/itex]:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2 + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex]

Since the force is central (no torque) L is constant. If you let:

[tex]V_{eff}(r) = V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2}[/tex] you can write the energy equation as:

[tex]E = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{dr}{dt})^2+ V_{eff}(r) = constant[/tex]

Then you can think of the variable energy in terms of the rate of change of the radius.

Consider an oribit in which the V_eff = constant; where V_eff has a minimum and maximum; where V_eff has a minimum but no maximum.

AM

Last edited:
Thanks alot! And I mean a lot! :-)

1. What is the Effective Potential Method for Solar System Orbits?

The Effective Potential Method is a mathematical approach used to study the motion of objects in the Solar System. It takes into account the gravitational forces and the shape of the orbit to determine the trajectory of a planet or other celestial body.

2. How is the Effective Potential Method different from other methods used to study planetary motion?

The Effective Potential Method is unique because it takes into account the shape of the orbit, rather than just the distance between objects. This allows for a more accurate prediction of the path of an object as it moves through space.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the Effective Potential Method?

The Effective Potential Method assumes that the gravitational forces between objects are the only forces acting on them, and that the orbits are circular or elliptical in shape. It also assumes that the mass of the orbiting object is much smaller than the mass of the central body.

4. What are some applications of the Effective Potential Method?

The Effective Potential Method is commonly used in the field of astrodynamics to study the motion of objects in the Solar System. It is also used in space mission planning and in the development of spacecraft trajectories.

5. Are there any limitations to the Effective Potential Method?

While the Effective Potential Method is a useful tool for studying planetary motion, it does have some limitations. It does not take into account the effects of relativity or other non-gravitational forces, and it can only be applied to systems with two or more objects orbiting each other.