What Are Waves in a Dispersive Medium?

In summary, the conversation discusses superimposing waves with different wavelengths and the resulting phase velocity at different heights. The speaker also mentions difficulties in solving for the value of k.
unscientific

Homework Statement

s656v8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2uzf5dz.png

i have no clue about the second part..

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

Am I suppose to superimpose the following waves:

exp i(kx - wt) + exp i((k+Δk)x - w't)

whereby the other wave has a different wavelength such that k becomes k+Δk and w becomes w' (with k+Δk) ?

op66g.png

So I found that at h >> 1/k or h >> λ/2∏

vg = (1/2) vg

And at h << 1/k or h << λ/2∏

vg ≈ vpI first assume that h >> 1/k or h >> λ/(2∏): But how do i prove this? I can't seem to solve the tanh function to find the value of k..

I got:
0.16≈k*tanh(1000k)

If i assume k≈0.16 since tanh(160) ≈ 1..
i get vp = 7.9m/s
Time taken = 35 hours..

Last edited:
bumpp

bumpp anyone?

1. What is a dispersive medium and how does it affect waves?

A dispersive medium is a material in which the speed of a wave depends on its frequency or wavelength. This means that different frequencies of the same wave will travel at different speeds through the medium. This can cause the wave to change shape or spread out over time.

2. What are some examples of dispersive media?

Common examples of dispersive media include water, air, and glass. These materials exhibit different speeds for different frequencies of light and sound waves, causing dispersion to occur.

3. How do waves behave in dispersive media?

In dispersive media, waves will disperse or spread out over time, causing them to have different shapes or frequencies compared to when they first entered the medium. This is due to the varying speeds of different frequencies of the wave.

4. What is the mathematical equation for calculating wave speed in a dispersive medium?

The equation for wave speed in a dispersive medium is c = λf, where c is the speed of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave. This equation shows that the speed of the wave is dependent on its frequency.

5. How can we control or manipulate waves in dispersive media?

There are various methods for controlling or manipulating waves in dispersive media, such as using lenses or filters to adjust the speed of specific frequencies. Additionally, changing the properties of the medium itself, such as temperature or pressure, can also affect the behavior of waves within it.