Is it possible for a chaotic system to have non-chaotic trajectories?

In summary, the conversation discusses an assignment about the chaotic behavior of the Duffing Oscillator using Wolfram Mathematica and the discovery of non-chaotic regions within a chaotic system. The question of whether this is a computing error or a natural occurrence is also raised.
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

I'm working on an assignment about the chaotic behaviour of the Duffing Oscillator, using Wolfram Mathematica, which has a package that can be used to calculate Lyapunov exponents.

From looking the oscillator up online, I have a set of parameters that result in chaotic behaviour, and for which a Poincare section stabilises after a period of approximately 4 pi.
I've written a function that calculates the Lyaponuv exponents for the chaotic set of parameters at a variety of initial conditions and then plots the greatest Lyaponuv exponent against the initial conditions.

The problem is that of my 1024 data points; 10 of them have no positive Lyaponuv exponent, which means that the trajectories aren't chaotic.

My question is whether this is a computing error, or if it is possible to have non chaotic trajectories in a chaotic system - and because the system is driven; it can't be an equilibrium position causing the anomaly. I haven't

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ratpigeon

Physics news on Phys.org
A system can have non-chaotic regions, even if the system is chaotic in most of the parameter space.

I think the two stable Lagrangian points are a nice example in 3-body orbital mechanics.

Thanks - I probably should have known that, I was just put out when my plot of the chaotic-ness of a system turned out to be... chaotic. ;P

1. Can a chaotic system have non-chaotic trajectories?

Yes, it is possible for a chaotic system to have non-chaotic trajectories. Chaotic systems are characterized by their sensitivity to initial conditions, meaning small changes in the initial state can lead to drastically different outcomes. However, there can be regions or periods within a chaotic system where the trajectories are more predictable and exhibit non-chaotic behavior.

2. How is it possible for a chaotic system to have non-chaotic trajectories?

This can occur due to the presence of attractors within the chaotic system. Attractors are points or regions in phase space where the trajectories tend to converge. These attractors can have stable fixed points, periodic orbits, or strange attractors which can result in non-chaotic trajectories within the overall chaotic system.

3. What factors contribute to the presence of non-chaotic trajectories in a chaotic system?

The presence and behavior of attractors, as well as the specific equations and initial conditions of the system, can all play a role in the emergence of non-chaotic trajectories. Additionally, external forces and perturbations can also influence the behavior of a chaotic system and potentially lead to non-chaotic trajectories.

4. Can non-chaotic trajectories exist indefinitely in a chaotic system?

It is possible for non-chaotic trajectories to exist for a period of time within a chaotic system, but eventually, the system will return to its chaotic behavior. This is because chaotic systems are inherently unpredictable and sensitive to initial conditions, making it difficult for non-chaotic trajectories to persist indefinitely.

5. How do non-chaotic trajectories affect the overall behavior of a chaotic system?

Non-chaotic trajectories can provide insight into the underlying dynamics of a chaotic system and can help identify the presence and behavior of attractors. They can also play a role in the overall stability and predictability of the system, as they can potentially influence the behavior of nearby trajectories. However, they do not fundamentally change the chaotic nature of the system.