Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code

In summary, the conversation is about using Kramers-Kronig relations in Mathematica to analyze a csv file with two columns. The first column represents h(eV) and the second column represents alpha (cm^-1). The equation for the analysis is provided from a source. There is confusion about which variable to use for the integration, with the solution possibly involving creating a function with the variable \omega as the left hand side.
snickersnee

Homework Statement

I'm trying to write Mathematica code to use Kramers-Kronig on a csv file with 2 columns. Column 1 is h(eV). It goes from 0 to 6, in increments of 0.1. Column 2 is alpha (cm^-1).
In the equation below, I'm guessing column 1 is Ω. But what should I put in for ω?

Homework Equations

kk_n.gif

(Source: http://www.rp-photonics.com/kramers_kronig_relations.html)

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
c = 300000000;
data = Import[
   "kk.csv", "CSV"];
column1 = data[[All, 1]];
column2 = data[[All, 2]];output := 
 1 + (c )/(pi) NIntegrate[
    column2/(column1^2 - omega^2), {column1, 0.1, 0, infinity}, 
    Method -> "PrincipalValue", Exclusions -> Automatic]

Plot[output, {column1, 0, 6}, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while so I've forgotten most about this stuff, but I noticed that [itex]\Omega[/itex] is your integration variable. Also column1 is a defined list and your integration variable is supposed to be a dummy, I think, so I'm not sure what you have written will actually work.

Since [itex]\omega[/itex] (lower-case omega) is the variable on the left hand side, I would expect that you get a function, i.e.
Code:
output := Function[\[omega], (* NIntegrate expression *)]
Plot[output, {\[omega], ..., ...}]

What is Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code?

Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code is a set of functions and algorithms implemented in the Mathematica software that allows for the calculation of the Kramers-Kronig relations, which describe the mathematical relationship between the real and imaginary parts of a complex function.

Why is Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code important?

Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code is important because it enables researchers and scientists to analyze and understand the behavior of a wide range of physical and mathematical systems, including optics, spectroscopy, and signal processing, by relating the real and imaginary parts of complex functions.

Is Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code difficult to use?

Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code can be challenging to use for those who are not familiar with the Mathematica software, as it requires a basic understanding of programming and mathematical functions. However, with some practice and guidance, it can be a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems.

What are some common applications of Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code?

Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and chemistry. It is commonly used for analyzing the dispersion of light in materials, determining the refractive index of substances, and characterizing the properties of signals and signals processing systems.

How can I learn to use Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code?

There are many online tutorials, courses, and resources available for learning how to use Kramers-Kronig Mathematica code. Additionally, the Mathematica software itself has built-in documentation and examples that can help users understand and use the code effectively.