Finding Euler angles from rotation about arbitrary axis

Expert SummarizerIn summary, to find the Euler angles for a set of three active rotations that give the same net motion of the object, we can use the Rodriguez rotation formula to find the rotation matrix for the given axis, and then consider the order of the rotations to determine the corresponding Euler angles. To find the rotation of the object, we can use the inverse rotation matrix and the resulting Euler angles will give the rotation of the object, not the axes. The meaning of eq 4.47 is simply the transpose of the rotation matrix.
TheSource007

Homework Statement

An object is rotated 45 degrees about an axis whose + direction is that of (i-k). Find zxz Euler angles (that is, Euler angles as introduced by Goldstein) for a set of three active rotations that gives the same net motion of the object.

Homework Equations

Goldstein chapter 4, eq 4.46. Not sure how to input it here.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do was to find the rotation matrix corresponding to the rotation about the given axis using the Rodriguez rotation formula http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_matrix#Rotation_matrix_from_axis_and_angle, and then compared to eq. 4.46 in Goldstein and get the Euler angles that way. But the problem specifies to find rotation of the object, and eq 4.46 describes the rotation of the axes. How can I find the Euler angles that describes the rotation of the object, not the axes? Was my approach the indicated/correct or is there another way?
Also, Can someone explain to me was is the meaning of eq 4.47 (the transpose of that matrix)
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems like you have a good understanding of the Rodriguez rotation formula and how to use it to find the rotation matrix for the given axis. However, as you mentioned, this only gives the rotation of the axes, not the object. To find the rotation of the object, we need to consider the order in which the rotations are performed.

In this case, we are given a rotation of 45 degrees about the axis (i-k). This is equivalent to a rotation of 45 degrees about the z-axis followed by a rotation of 45 degrees about the x-axis. Therefore, the set of three active rotations that gives the same net motion of the object would be a rotation of 45 degrees about the z-axis, followed by a rotation of 45 degrees about the x-axis, and finally another rotation of 45 degrees about the z-axis.

To find the Euler angles corresponding to this set of rotations, we can use the same approach as before, but this time we will use the inverse rotation matrix. This means that instead of rotating the axes, we will rotate the object in the opposite direction. The resulting Euler angles will give the rotation of the object, not the axes.

As for the meaning of eq 4.47, it is simply the transpose of the rotation matrix. This is because the transpose of a rotation matrix is equal to its inverse, and in this case, we are using the inverse rotation matrix to find the rotation of the object.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are Euler angles and why are they important in rotation calculations?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that describe the orientation of a rigid body in 3D space with respect to a fixed coordinate system. They are important in rotation calculations because they provide a way to represent the orientation of an object in a simple and intuitive manner.

2. How do you find Euler angles from a rotation about an arbitrary axis?

To find Euler angles from a rotation about an arbitrary axis, you can use the following steps:1. Determine the rotation axis and the angle of rotation.2. Use the axis-angle representation formula to find the rotation matrix.3. Use trigonometric functions to calculate the individual Euler angles from the rotation matrix.4. Choose the appropriate sequence of rotations (e.g. XYZ, ZYX) to determine the correct order of the Euler angles.

3. Can Euler angles represent any rotation in 3D space?

No, Euler angles have a singularity at certain orientations, which means they cannot represent all possible rotations in 3D space. This singularity can lead to issues such as gimbal lock, where one of the angles becomes redundant and causes a loss of one degree of freedom.

4. Are there any alternative methods for representing rotations besides Euler angles?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for representing rotations, such as quaternions, rotation matrices, and axis-angle representations. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application and requirements.

5. How are Euler angles used in practical applications?

Euler angles are commonly used in computer graphics and robotics to represent the orientation of objects in 3D space. They are also used in aerospace engineering to describe the orientation of aircraft and spacecraft. Additionally, they are used in motion capture and animation to track and animate the movements of human or animal models.