Quantum Rigid Rotor Homework: Energy Eigenstates & Degeneracy

In summary, the conversation discusses a rigid rotor with moment of inertia Ix = Iy = I, Iz = (1 + ε)I and its energy given by E = L^2/2I. The questions raised include determining the new energy eigenstates and eigenvalues, sketching the energy spectrum as a function of ε, and analyzing the degeneracy of the energy eigenvalues. The conversation also mentions the use of spherical harmonics and the Hamiltonian for the rigid rotor.
black_hole

Homework Statement

Consider a rigid rotor with moment of inertia Ix = Iy = I, Iz = (1 + ε)I
Classically, his energy is given by, E = L^2/2I.

(c) What are the new energy eigenstates and eigenvalues?
(d) Sketch the spectrum of energy eigenvalues as a function of ε. For what sign of do the energy eigenvalues get closer together? Intuitively, why?
(e) What is the degeneracy of the nth energy eigenvalue? Is the degeneracy fully lifted? If so, explain why and suggest a way to break only some of the degeneracy. If not, explain why not and suggest a way to break all of the degeneracy.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that in the spherically symmetric case, the eigenstates are spherical harmonics with eigenvalues of hbar^2/2I * l(l+1) and the degeneracy is given by 2l+1...but I was sort of just given that--I mean it makes sense, but I didn't have to solve a differential equation, so I am unsure how to proceed here, particularly (c)...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down the Hamiltonian for the rigid rotor?

1. What is a quantum rigid rotor?

A quantum rigid rotor is a model used in quantum mechanics to describe the rotation of a particle around a fixed axis. It is called "rigid" because the distance between the particles remains constant during rotation, and "quantum" because it takes into account the quantization of angular momentum.

2. What are energy eigenstates?

Energy eigenstates are the possible energy levels that a quantum system can have. In the case of a quantum rigid rotor, these energy levels correspond to the different rotational states of the particle.

3. What is degeneracy in the context of quantum rigid rotor?

Degeneracy refers to the phenomenon where multiple energy eigenstates have the same energy value. In the case of a quantum rigid rotor, this means that multiple rotational states have the same energy level.

4. How do you find the energy eigenstates of a quantum rigid rotor?

The energy eigenstates of a quantum rigid rotor can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and solving for the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of the equation.

5. Why is degeneracy important in the study of quantum rigid rotor?

Degeneracy is important in the study of quantum rigid rotor because it allows for multiple rotational states to have the same energy level. This has significant implications for the behavior of the system, as it can affect the probabilities of different rotational transitions and give insight into the underlying symmetries of the system.