Favorite jokes from scientists for 2013

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary, theoretical physicists share a joke about being lost on a mountain and not knowing where they are. The joke highlights the disconnect between theoretical physicists and the real world. Another joke involves an electron taking a pregnancy test.
Scientists tell us their favorite jokes: 'An electron and a positron walked into a bar…'
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/29/scientists-favourite-jokes

Two theoretical physicists are lost at the top of a mountain. Theoretical physicist No 1 pulls out a map and peruses it for a while. Then he turns to theoretical physicist No 2 and says: "Hey, I've figured it out. I know where we are."
"Where are we then?"
"Do you see that mountain over there?"
"Yes."
"Well… THAT'S where we are."

I heard this joke at a physics conference in Les Arcs (I was at the top of a mountain skiing at the time, so it was quite apt). It was explained to me that it was first told by a Nobel prize-winning experimental physicist by way of indicating how out-of-touch with the real world theoretical physicists can sometimes be.
Jeff Forshaw, professor of physics and astronomy, University of Manchester

Physics news on Phys.org
An electron thought she was pregnant, but after taking the test it turns out she was negative.

1. What is the funniest scientific joke of 2013?

The funniest scientific joke of 2013 was a chemistry joke: "Why did the chemist fall in love? Because he found the perfect combination."

2. Are there any jokes from famous scientists in 2013?

Yes, there were several jokes from famous scientists in 2013. For example, renowned physicist Stephen Hawking joked: "Why was the computer cold? Because it left its Windows open."

3. Can you share a biology joke from 2013?

One of the top biology jokes from 2013 was: "Why did the plant go to therapy? Because it had low self-leaf esteem."

4. Is there a joke from a famous comedian about science from 2013?

Yes, famous comedian and science enthusiast Bill Nye had a joke in 2013: "Why did the photon check into a hotel? Because it needed some rest and energy."

5. What is the most popular joke from a scientist in 2013?

The most popular joke from a scientist in 2013 was from astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson: "Why did the math book look so sad? Because it had too many problems."