Do current sources stack with current?

In summary: What is interesting is that if you were to stack two current sources that have different current ratings, generally the higher current one would go out of compliance, and will output only the current that the lower current source is rated at. Thus, both current sources in series are passing the same (lower) current.
ainster31
Consider the following circuit:

h_1390408792_3749447_6c069ce658.png

Now imagine that I add a 3A current source:

h_1390408821_1096865_026c3809ba.png

Is the following equation correct? $$I_1=I_0+3$$

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, I1 is by definition 3 amps. You cannot put ideal current sources in series just as you cannot put ideal voltage sources in parallel. Doing either one causes a contradiction.

phinds said:
No, I1 is by definition 3 amps. You cannot put ideal current sources in series just as you cannot put ideal voltage sources in parallel. Doing either one causes a contradiction.

What would happen in real life if I did add the current source? Will the circuit explode? Or will it just become non-ideal? Will it convert from current source to voltage source? How do voltage sources and current sources even work?

If we use the analogy of comparing electric potentials to gravitational potentials, are voltage sources like ladders or slides?

ainster31 said:
What would happen in real life if I did add the current source? Will the circuit explode? Or will it just become non-ideal? Will it convert from current source to voltage source? How do voltage sources and current sources even work?

Real current sources have a range of voltage that can be applied across them and still work. This voltage range is often called the "compliance" range. If you try to operate a real current source outside of this range, it no longer is a constant current source, and usually will put out less than the intended current.

If you stack 2 current sources that have different current ratings, generally the higher current one will go out of compliance, and will output only the current that the lower current source is rated at. Thus, both current sources in series are passing the same (lower) current.

You can see this for youself -- look up common circuits for a current sink and a current source. Then stack the two schematics and figure out what will happen... (fun exercise) :smile:

If we use the analogy of comparing electric potentials to gravitational potentials, are voltage sources like ladders or slides?

Sorry, I have no idea what that means.

ainster31 said:
What would happen in real life if I did add the current source? Will the circuit explode? Or will it just become non-ideal?

In real life, current sources are NEVER ideal so the question you seem to be asking (what would happen if I put ideal current source in series) doesn't make sense. Berkeman has explained what will likely happen if you put real current sources in series.

I see the circuit posted as a current source in series with a voltage source. There is no reason that cannot be done.

1. Do current sources stack with current?

The answer is yes, current sources can stack with current. When multiple current sources are connected in parallel, their individual currents will add together to create a larger total current.

2. Can current sources in series stack their current?

No, current sources in series cannot stack their current. In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the circuit, so adding multiple current sources in series will not increase the total current.

3. How is current affected when current sources are connected in parallel?

When current sources are connected in parallel, their individual currents add together to create a larger total current. This is known as Kirchhoff's Current Law.

4. Is there a limit to how many current sources can be stacked together?

Yes, there is a limit to how many current sources can be stacked together. This limit is determined by the maximum current carrying capacity of the circuit and the individual current sources. Exceeding this limit can cause damage to the circuit.

5. Can different types of current sources stack together?

No, different types of current sources cannot stack together. Each type of current source has its own unique properties and characteristics, and they cannot be combined to create a larger current.