Questions About LFTR - Uranium 233 & Gamma Rays

• Thread starter Nerdydude101
  • Start date
In summary, LFTR reactors convert thorium into U-233 to produce energy. They require an initial loading of fissile material and produce gamma radiation from impurities and fission products. The engineering and design of the reactor determine its safety, and a molten salt reactor may use a Brayton or steam Rankine cycle for power generation. The separation of U-233 and U-232 requires the same equipment as separating U-235 and U-238. The main proliferation negator is the gamma emission, which can be stopped by materials such as lead or depleted uranium. The salt plug in LFTRs helps to contain the fuel and prevent external neutron sources from causing a reaction.
nikkkom said:
Look at yields of I-135 and Xe-135 in that table. Then think what they decay to, and with what lifetime.
To what end? Do you accept the cumulative radio-toxicity levels of fission products as shown in the APS chart, or not? Is the cumulative radiotoxicity of *all* fission products below that of natural uranium within hundreds of years or not? Does natural uranium ore require "geologic storage"?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
To what end? Look, do you accept the cumulative radio-toxicity levels of fission products as shown in the APS chart, or not? Is the cumulative radiotoxicity of *all* fission products below that of natural uranium within hundreds of year,s or not? Does natural uranium require "geologic storage"?

EXACTLY! Unfortunately, that's the problem; people can't put the risk in perspective.

We have so many like Helen Caldicott preaching that any amount of radiation is deadly no matter how small; and in particular; no matter that natural exposure swamps the amount she is complaining about.

People would be well served to think of germs as an analogy. Does it make any sense to attempt to sterilize items like Howard Hughes used to do when practically everything has some level of germ contamination to no ill effect. In fact, people like Howard Hughes have a mental disorder - OCD for Obsessive Compulsion Disorder.

mheslep said:
>> Look at yields of I-135 and Xe-135 in that table. Then think what they decay to, and with what lifetime.

To what end?

To this end: you are obviously wrong about long-lived fission products being "only trace". I merely pointing it out to you in this particular post: even though Cs-135 is rare as a *direct* fission product, it is a daughter of two other more common short-lived fission products, and therefore cumulatively its production adds up to ~7%.

No need to get angry just because you are proven wrong.

Do you accept the cumulative radio-toxicity levels of fission products as shown in the APS chart, or not?

The y-axis units are not specified on your chart. Hmmm.

Okay, this needs some verifying. I found another chart - see attached.

It claims that after about 900 years, fission products' decay rate is dominated by Tc-99, and it stands somewhere near 1GBq/kg. Google tells me that uranium ore is about 25 MBq/kg.

So, no, I don't accept your claim.

Attachments

• Spent_Fuel_Bq.gif
    Spent_Fuel_Bq.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
nikkkom said:
The y-axis units are not specified on your chart.
The radiotoxicity chart is from APS, as you known, it's not 'mine'; yes all the relevant units are there implicitly via the natural uranium ore reference line.
...Tc-99 ... stands somewhere near 1GBq/kg...uranium ore is about 25 MBq/kg
Which is specific activity, not total radioactivity nor, more importantly, total radiotoxicity. For instance, with the some 40x10^12 tonnes of uranium estimated throughout the Earth's crust and oceans, that implies something like 10^24 Bq total activity from uranium. Oh no, run away, run away.

So, no, I don't accept your claim.
APS claim about total radiotoxicity, which for some dogmatic reason you don't care to understand.

There to be or not to be U232...

QuantumPion said:
No, U-232 is generated by neutron absorption in the reactor. If you chemically separate the proactinium outside of the reactor and wait for it to decay to U-233 there will be no U-232 contamination.

There is an apparent contradiction, to my eyes at least, between some of the posts on this thread. U233 is said to be difficult to process because of U232, and then Mr QuantumPion tells us the above: no U232. If you get U233 inside the reactor with no U232, isn't that exactily what you would need for a bomb?

kiskrof said:
There is an apparent contradiction, to my eyes at least, between some of the posts on this thread. U233 is said to be difficult to process because of U232, and then Mr QuantumPion tells us the above: no U232. If you get U233 inside the reactor with no U232, isn't that exactily what you would need for a bomb?

Which posts are you referring to? U-233 inside the reactor would be contaminated with U-232. But it is physically possible to reprocess protactinium in a thorium cycle to produce clean U-233.

I am reffering to posts on the first or second page of this thread, from where I took your quote (by the way thank you for all your interventions QuantumPion). I was not aware that my post would appear at the very end of the thread. The problem is:
1. U232 is often quoted as the solution to nuclear proliferation. i have read several times: "it is very difficult to make a bomb from a LFTR because the U233 is mixed with U232.
2. U232 comes from the reaction: Pa233 + n --> U232 + n + n + beta To avoid this, you take the Pa233 from away from the reactor for a while, till it beta-decays to U233.
Both ideas are very nice, but I think that unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it. If you want to avoid the building of U232 in your power plant (which probably makes many things easier), than U232 won't help you stop proliferation.
I am not a physicist, tell me where I am wrong. Apparently, wikipedia agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor#Removal_of_fission_products (long article, see "disadvantages", and "Proliferation risk from Protactinium separation")

kiskrof said:
I am reffering to posts on the first or second page of this thread, from where I took your quote (by the way thank you for all your interventions QuantumPion). I was not aware that my post would appear at the very end of the thread. The problem is:
1. U232 is often quoted as the solution to nuclear proliferation. i have read several times: "it is very difficult to make a bomb from a LFTR because the U233 is mixed with U232.
2. U232 comes from the reaction: Pa233 + n --> U232 + n + n + beta To avoid this, you take the Pa233 from away from the reactor for a while, till it beta-decays to U233.
Both ideas are very nice, but I think that unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it. If you want to avoid the building of U232 in your power plant (which probably makes many things easier), than U232 won't help you stop proliferation.
I am not a physicist, tell me where I am wrong. Apparently, wikipedia agrees with me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor#Removal_of_fission_products (long article, see "disadvantages", and "Proliferation risk from Protactinium separation")

Your thinking is correct. Fuel from a regular commercial LFTR reactor producing dirty U-233 could not be stolen to use in a bomb because it would be too radioactive to handle. This aspect may be what people are referring to in regards to proliferation resistance. However, if you owned the LFTR plant, you could feasibly configure it to produce clean U-233.

I've seen an interesting film lately on a guy who believes that the Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor is the best nuclear reactor to be created -- http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/thorium-energy-solution/

I'm curious to know both the advantages/disadvantages of LFTRs and the technology that still needs to be developed to make LFTRs a reality. Your thoughts?

Kelson Adams said:
I've seen an interesting film lately on a guy who believes that the Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactor is the best nuclear reactor to be created -- http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/thorium-energy-solution/

I'm curious to know both the advantages/disadvantages of LFTRs and the technology that still needs to be developed to make LFTRs a reality. Your thoughts?

Please read this thread from the start. A number of people already gave their (varying) opinions on LFTR.