Understanding Lights Wired in Series: Explaining Basic Electricity

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing aids for a classroom demonstration on basic electricity using lights to demonstrate series and parallel circuits and explaining basic laws. The question asks about the displayed wattage when hooking three 25 watt bulbs in series with a supply voltage of 123 VAC. The conversation then explains the concept of power and resistance in series circuits, with the use of a watt meter. The expert provides a formula for calculating power in series circuits and concludes by thanking the expert for the clear explanation.
senorbrown
I need some help with a formula, I am constructing some aids for a class room demonstration on basic electricity. I am using lights to demonstrate series and parallel cicuits, also trying to explain some of the basic laws. My question, If I hook three 25 watt bulbs in series with a supply voltage of 123 VAC the displayed wattage (under power) is about 12 watts (I am using a meter). I would like to explain using an appropriate formula but I don't know how.

Science news on Phys.org
Where do you measure that Wattage...(in which point of the circuit)?VAC is that continuous or alternative current...?

Daniel.

I am using a watt meter that allows me to select either Volts, Amps, Watts, or KWHR. It is AC.

Hes asking between which nodes did you connect the multimeter

If the resistance did not change with temperature (But, it does.) due to the current through it, then the resistance of the three bulbs in series would be 3 times the resistance of one bulb. The power (given by P=V^2/R) would be
25/3=8 Watts. You read 12 Watts (>8), because there is 1/3 the current through each bulb. They stay cool and have a smaller resistance than a hot bulb.

Meir Achuz said:
If the resistance did not change with temperature (But, it does.) due to the current through it, then the resistance of the three bulbs in series would be 3 times the resistance of one bulb. The power (given by P=V^2/R) would be
25/3=8 Watts. You read 12 Watts (>8), because there is 1/3 the current through each bulb. They stay cool and have a smaller resistance than a hot bulb.

The bulbs are in series, they all take the same current.

[tex] P_{res} = IV = \frac{V^2}{R} = I^2R[/tex]

Thank you, that is very clear

What is the concept of wiring lights in series?

Wiring lights in series means that the lights are connected one after the other in a single loop. This means that the current flows through each light in the circuit, one after the other.

How does wiring lights in series affect the brightness of the lights?

Wiring lights in series decreases the overall brightness of the lights. This is because the total amount of current flowing through the circuit stays the same, but it is divided between each light, resulting in a lower current and therefore, a dimmer light.

What happens if one light in a series circuit goes out?

If one light in a series circuit goes out, the entire circuit will be broken and all lights will go out. This is because the current flow is disrupted, and without a complete loop, the circuit cannot function.

How can I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances of each component. This can be calculated by adding up the resistance values of each light or other component connected in the series.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of wiring lights in series?

One advantage of wiring lights in series is that it allows for individual control of each light. However, one disadvantage is that if one light goes out, the entire circuit will be broken. Additionally, wiring lights in series decreases the overall brightness and can result in uneven lighting if the lights have different resistances.