Water Evaporization from standing sinks

• Thread starter jwall@sdengineers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
It is recommended to consult a more reliable source or conduct further research to determine the most accurate formula for calculating water evaporation rate.
jwall@sdengineers
I'm trying to confirm if the following formula is correct for determining the rate of evaporization in lbs/hr from standing water in a sink.

Formula W=[A+(B)(V)](PA-PA)/Wv where

W= Water evaporization rate, (lbs/hr) per sq. ft. of water surface area
A= Constant 68, B= Constant 32
V= Velocity over water surface, miles/hr
Pw= Vapor pressure of water at the water temperature, inches of Hg.
Pa= Vapor pressure of water at the air dewpoint temperature, inches of Hg
Hv= Heat of vaporization of water at the water temperature, Btu/lb

I came across this formula on a spread sheet that was used for another project but I can not find anything to confirm if it is correct. Also, I'm not sure what the constants are based on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
JJW

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, this formula does not appear to be correct. The constants A and B have no clear meaning, and the variables Pw and Hv are not used in the equation. It also does not account for other variables such as humidity and wind speed, which are important factors in the rate of evaporation from standing water.

Hello JJW,

Thank you for sharing this formula for determining the rate of water evaporation from standing sinks. While I am not an expert in this field, I can provide some general feedback on the formula.

Firstly, I would recommend double-checking the units used in the formula. The units for water evaporation rate are typically in mass per unit time (e.g. kg/hr or lbs/hr), while the units for velocity are typically in distance per unit time (e.g. m/s or mph). It seems that the units for velocity in this formula are in miles per hour, while the units for water evaporation rate are in lbs/hr per sq. ft. of water surface area. This may need to be adjusted for accuracy.

In terms of the constants, without knowing the context or source of this formula, it is difficult to determine their origin or accuracy. It is possible that they were determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations. I would recommend checking with the source of the spreadsheet or doing some further research to confirm the accuracy of these constants.

Additionally, there may be other factors that can affect the rate of water evaporation from standing sinks, such as humidity, temperature, and air flow. These may need to be incorporated into the formula for a more accurate calculation.

Overall, I would recommend verifying the units and constants used in this formula and considering other factors that may affect the rate of water evaporation from standing sinks. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. How does water evaporate from standing sinks?

Water evaporates from standing sinks due to the process of evaporation, which is the conversion of liquid water into water vapor. This occurs when the molecules of water gain enough energy to break free from the surface of the water and become a gas.

2. Why does water evaporate faster from some sinks than others?

Several factors can affect the rate of water evaporation from standing sinks. These include temperature, humidity, air flow, and surface area. Higher temperatures, lower humidity, and increased air flow can all contribute to faster water evaporation. A larger surface area also allows for more water molecules to escape into the air, resulting in quicker evaporation.

3. Is water evaporating from standing sinks a sign of a leak?

No, water evaporating from standing sinks is a natural process and not a sign of a leak. As long as the water is not disappearing at an unusually fast rate, it is likely just evaporating normally. If you suspect a leak, it is best to check for any visible signs of water damage or contact a plumber for further inspection.

4. Can the type of material a sink is made of affect water evaporation?

Yes, the type of material a sink is made of can impact water evaporation. Porous materials, such as stone or wood, can absorb water and slow down evaporation. Non-porous materials, like metal or plastic, do not absorb water and may allow for faster evaporation.

5. How can I prevent water from evaporating from my standing sink?

To prevent water from evaporating from your standing sink, you can cover it with a lid or stopper when not in use. This will create a barrier between the water and the air, slowing down the evaporation process. Additionally, keeping the room temperature cooler and using a humidifier can also help reduce water evaporation from standing sinks.