Line in vs Microphone in Windows

In summary, the conversation is discussing the difference between "Line in" and "Microphone" in Windows. The person is trying to configure their PC to use Line In instead of the microphone for Skype calls, but is having trouble as Windows can only "listen" to one port at a time. Despite trying to manually select Line In, it automatically switches back to the microphone.
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Line in" vs "Microphone" in Windows

Hi all,

I have a PC with windows XP in which I regularly use Skype (which allows you to make phone calls). The computer has both a MIC and LINE IN entries, but only the MIC is "heard" by windows. Is there a way to configure it so that it listens to LINE IN instead? does that make sense? (maybe I want it to function in a way it is not supposed to?)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you planning on hooking up a mic to line in? I mean, sure you could use it, just unmute it.

Windows can "hear" line in as well. The thing is that windows can only "listen" to one port at a time. If you go to your volume properies thing in the taskbar and switch over to the Recording dials, you will notice everything has a "Select" button under neath. Whichever one is checked is the one that windows is currently "listening to".

Thanks guys, but I tried that and it does not work. For some reason, when I make the call, the Line In is unselected automatically, and the mic is re-selected. Can I stop that from happening?

Ahh,,,, Another case of Uncle Bill knows best!

1. What is the difference between "Line in" and "Microphone" in Windows?

"Line in" and "Microphone" are two different types of audio input sources that can be used on a Windows computer. "Line in" is typically used for connecting external audio devices such as a CD player or a mixer, while "Microphone" is used for capturing sound directly from a microphone.

2. Can I use a "Line in" connection as a microphone?

Technically, yes. However, the quality of the audio may not be as good as using a dedicated microphone input. "Line in" inputs are not designed to amplify the small signals from a microphone, so the sound may be too low and lack clarity.

3. How do I switch between "Line in" and "Microphone" inputs in Windows?

To switch between the two inputs, you will need to open your sound settings in Windows. For "Line in", you will need to select the corresponding input device from the list. For "Microphone", you can select the device and make sure that it is set as the default recording device.

4. Can I use both "Line in" and "Microphone" inputs at the same time?

Yes, you can use both inputs simultaneously. This can be useful if you want to record audio from multiple sources at once, such as recording music and your voice at the same time. You will need to make sure that both inputs are enabled and set as the default recording devices in your sound settings.

5. Is there a difference in sound quality between "Line in" and "Microphone" inputs?

As mentioned before, "Line in" inputs are not designed for microphone use, so the sound quality may not be as good. Microphone inputs are typically designed to amplify the small signals from a microphone, resulting in clearer and louder audio. However, the quality of the sound also depends on the quality of your devices and their settings.