Solving 12V Battery Problem with Resistors

• Thread starter TheHamburgler1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the current and voltage across each resistor in a circuit with a 12V battery, 3.0 ohm, 4.0 ohm, 12 ohm, 24 ohm, 4.8 ohm, and 4.0 ohm resistors. The participants suggest using the equations V=IR and I=V/R to find the total resistance of the parallel resistors, the total circuit resistance, and the individual voltage drops and currents. They also mention the importance of understanding the correct circuit configuration and working backwards from the total current to find the voltage drops.
TheHamburgler1

Homework Statement

A schematic diagram incorporates a 12V battery in series with a 3.0 ohm resistor. The current then flows through 12 ohm and 4.0 ohm resistors in parallel with each other.
a) calculate the current through and voltage across each resistor. 3.0ohm 4.0 ohm 12ohm 24ohm 4.8 ohm 4.0 ohm

Homework Equations

V=IR I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Would I simply plug these into the equation and get an answer?
12/3=4A, 12/4=3A, 12/12=1A, 12/24=.5A, 12/4.8=2.5A 12/4=3A
For voltage would I just plug these answers into the V=IR equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the total resistance of the parallel pair of resistors, with that you can find the total circuit resistance. Once the total resistance is known you can find the total current. Given the current you can now compute the voltage drops. Given the voltage drop on the parallel network you can compute the individual resistance.

I got the total resistance and it's 8. How do I calculate the current through each resistor not the total current.

You could use V = IR. With your original equations:
12/3=4A, 12/4=3A, 12/12=1A, 12/24=.5A, 12/4.8=2.5A 12/4=3A
You are assuming that all resistors are hooked up in parallel. Which is not the case, so they can't all have 12V across them. Find the total resistance, solve for total current, and then solve for all voltage drops. Once you know voltage drops, you can work out individual currents.

I got the total resistance to be 8. The total current to be 1.5 because 12/8=1.5, now how do I get the voltage drops?

Well since you now have a circuit with one equivalent resistance in series with the voltage source and you know the total current, just work backwards. For example if your equivalent resistance contained the total resistance of R1+(R2||R3). We would work backwards by splitting up the equivalent resistance into two series resistors (with respect to the voltage source). One resistor would be R1 and the other would be R2||R3. Knowing the total current we can find the voltage drop across R1 and R2||R3 (R2 and R3 will have the same voltage drops becuase they are parallel).

1. How do resistors help solve 12V battery problems?

Resistors are used to regulate the flow of electricity in a circuit. By adding resistors to a 12V battery, the amount of current flowing through the circuit can be controlled, preventing any potential damage to the battery or other components.

2. What is the ideal resistance value for solving a 12V battery problem?

The ideal resistance value for solving a 12V battery problem will vary depending on the specific battery and circuit. It is important to calculate the appropriate resistance value based on the voltage, current, and desired power output of the circuit.

3. Can resistors extend the life of a 12V battery?

Resistors alone cannot extend the life of a 12V battery. However, by using resistors to regulate the flow of electricity, the battery can be protected from potential damage and thus potentially prolong its lifespan.

4. Are there any downsides to using resistors for a 12V battery problem?

One potential downside of using resistors is that they can generate heat in the circuit, which can decrease overall efficiency. Additionally, using resistors to limit the current flow can also reduce the overall power output of the circuit.

5. Can resistors completely solve a 12V battery problem?

No, resistors cannot completely solve a 12V battery problem. They can only regulate the flow of electricity and protect the battery from potential damage. Other factors, such as the age and condition of the battery, may also need to be addressed in order to fully solve the problem.