Is it Possible to Leave Only the 1, 7, and 10 Pins Standing in Bowling?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of leaving only the 1, 7, and 10 pins standing in a game of bowling. The participants express different opinions, with one believing it is possible due to the curve and spin of the ball, and the other stating they have seen it happen before.
physicsn3wb
Hello Everyone, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this question or if it is even a legitimate question to be asking, but my friend and I were arguing about it and I was wondering if you could help settle the argument.

The question is:

Is it physically possible to leave only the 1, 7, and 10 pins standing (each corner of the pin triangle)?

Again, sorry if this is a stupid question...and if it is, just disregard it.

Physics news on Phys.org
with curve of the trajectory and spin of the ball i would think its possible.

yes its possible I've bowled many times and seen weird stuff.

What is the physics behind a bowling ball's motion?

The motion of a bowling ball is governed by three main physical principles: inertia, friction, and gravity. Inertia causes the ball to resist changes in its motion, so it will continue to move in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. Friction between the ball and the lane surface creates a force that causes the ball to slow down and eventually stop. Finally, gravity pulls the ball downward towards the ground, causing it to follow a curved path known as a parabola.

What factors affect the speed of a bowling ball?

The speed of a bowling ball is affected by several factors, including the weight of the ball, the friction between the ball and the lane surface, and the amount of force applied by the bowler. A heavier ball will typically travel at a slower speed, while a lighter ball will travel faster. Additionally, a smoother lane surface will result in less friction and a higher ball speed, while a rougher surface will slow the ball down. The amount of force applied by the bowler also plays a significant role, as a stronger throw will result in a faster ball speed.

How does the oil pattern on a bowling lane affect the ball's trajectory?

The oil pattern on a bowling lane can significantly impact the ball's trajectory. A heavier oil pattern will create more friction, causing the ball to slow down and hook earlier. On the other hand, a lighter oil pattern will result in less friction, allowing the ball to travel faster and hook later. The length and shape of the oil pattern also play a role in the ball's trajectory, as a longer pattern will affect the ball's speed and a pattern with more oil in the middle will cause the ball to hook more dramatically.

Why do some bowling balls have different shapes and weights?

Bowling balls come in a variety of shapes and weights to accommodate different bowling styles and lane conditions. A heavier ball will typically have more inertia, making it harder to change direction and resulting in a straighter path. On the other hand, a lighter ball will be easier to control and allow for more hook potential. The shape of the ball, particularly the core design, can also influence its motion. Some cores are designed to create more angularity or hook potential, while others are designed for a more controlled and consistent motion.

What role does the bowler's release technique play in the physics of bowling?

The bowler's release technique can have a significant impact on the physics of bowling. A smooth and consistent release will result in a more predictable ball motion, while a jerky or inconsistent release can cause the ball to hook or roll unpredictably. Additionally, the angle of the bowler's hand at release can affect the ball's rotation, which in turn affects its hook potential. A bowler's release technique is a crucial factor in achieving a desired ball motion and hitting the desired target on the lane.