Is this a correct understanding?

• Thread starter gabrielh
  • Start date
In summary, the wavefunction describes the state of a particle and gives information about where the particle might be found.
gabrielh
My understanding of the wavefunction is as follows. Say we have a photon. The wavefunction of the photon is simply a mathematical representation of the photon. If you were to take the information provided by the wavefunction and, say, graph it on a coordinate plane or something similar, it would have a wavelike shape.

Is this correct? It's all I can gather from what I've read thus far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

Wave funtion ψ is the function of the position x ,say ψ=ψ(x)and the complex number, say ψ(x)=Reψ(x)+i Imψ(x).

ψ(x) is sometimes periodical like a wave, but not always so.

Physical meaning of ψ is that ψ*ψ=Reψ(x)^2 + Imψ(x)^2 gives possibility to find a particle at position x.
Larger ψ*ψ is, more likely the particle be there.
More exactly, ψ*ψdx ={Reψ(x)^2 + Imψ(x)^2}dx gives possibility to find a particle at position between x and x+dx.
If there is one particle in the system, ∫ψ*ψdx = 1.

I hope there is something helpful to you. Regards.

gabrielh said:
My understanding of the wavefunction is as follows. Say we have a photon. The wavefunction of the photon is simply a mathematical representation of the photon. If you were to take the information provided by the wavefunction and, say, graph it on a coordinate plane or something similar, it would have a wavelike shape.

Is this correct? It's all I can gather from what I've read thus far.

It might be worth pointing out that the photon is a bad example since you can't really write down a "normal" wavefunction for it for various reasons (one reason being that is has no mass).
If you want understand the concept of a wavefunction you are better off considering e.g. an electron instead. To make it even easier you should also trap the electron in a potential well; for a free electron you need to consider a wave package (as opposed to just a wave) which is a somewhat more complicated affair.

1. What is the importance of having a correct understanding?

A correct understanding is crucial in the scientific field because it ensures accuracy and reliability of results. It allows for the proper interpretation of data and the formulation of valid conclusions.

2. How can I determine if my understanding is correct?

To determine if your understanding is correct, you can analyze and compare your findings with existing research and data. It is also important to critically evaluate the methods and processes used to arrive at your understanding.

3. Can multiple people have different correct understandings about the same topic?

Yes, it is possible for multiple people to have different correct understandings about the same topic. This is because different individuals may have different perspectives, interpretations, and levels of knowledge on the subject.

4. Is there a difference between a correct understanding and a common understanding?

Yes, there can be a difference between a correct understanding and a common understanding. A correct understanding is based on scientific evidence and research, while a common understanding may be based on personal beliefs or opinions.

5. How can I ensure that my understanding is up-to-date and accurate?

To ensure that your understanding is up-to-date and accurate, it is important to continuously stay informed about new research and advancements in the field. Peer-reviewed journals and reputable sources should be consulted for the most current and reliable information.