[Theory of Machines] Why is Belt in a Belt drive a Link

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of kinematic links, particularly in relation to belt and chain drives. It is explained that belt and chain drives are not considered as single links, but rather make up a higher pair. The conversation also touches on the concept of a belt pulley being a higher pair due to its line contact and lack of slippage. The conversation ends with a request for information on how the chain-sprocket kinematic pair results in a constrained motion with a single degree of freedom, and a hint is given on possible relative motions between a chain and a sprocket.
nanunath
Hello every1...

I'm a mechanical enggineering student...
I've been studying theory of Machines...
My academic syllabus includes only "Simple Mechanisms"...
Now in Simple Mechanisms...the first thing we get to know is a "Kinematic Link"...

Definition of a Kinematic Link:-it is a rigid or resistant body having relative motion with respect to other link/elements of the machine/mechanism

But I just don't get how a belt in a belt drive[and chain in a chain drive ] is link...
because if I stand on a single part of a chain I'll find the other parts moving[except for the ones in a straight line moving in a particular direction]...and these individual parts of the chain together form a chain[same should apply for belt drive...with a very large number of individual parts..I think]
Moreover I also don't get how Belt-pulley forms a higher pair...

Lastly is it a part of "Complex Mechanisms"...
Plz help me ...
any ideas on this are welcome...
Thanxxxx

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Any Idea...anyone...??
Any ideas are welcome...Please do post if you have any idea...

Have I posted it in the Wrong section..and so not getting any help??
Which section should I post it in??
[Actuall I found "Conceptual evaluations" as tag for the sub section title ... and so posted it here]

Sorry..for bumping...
But anyone...having any idea ..please reply...

Belt/chain drive is not regarded as a single link, they make what is known as a higher pair, & it is considered as an equivalent to two lower pairs(or kinematic link).

Belt pulley is a higher pair because it has line contact & no slippage(ideally)

ank_gl said:
Belt/chain drive is not regarded as a single link, they make what is known as a higher pair, & it is considered as an equivalent to two lower pairs(or kinematic link).

Belt pulley is a higher pair because it has line contact & no slippage(ideally)

Thanxx...
Belt/chain drive is not regarded as a single link
That did solve my confusion...
and
ya..they do make a higher pair...
But can u tell me where can I find[or can u give/write] me a document which explains how the "Chain-Sproket" Kinematic pair results in a constrained motion with a single Degree of Freedom...

any help appreciated...

nanunath said:
But can u tell me where can I find[or can u give/write] me a document which explains how the "Chain-Sproket" Kinematic pair results in a constrained motion with a single Degree of Freedom...

what are the possible relative motions between a chain & a sprocket?

Hint: chain cannot slip on the sprocket

What is the theory behind a belt drive?

The theory of a belt drive is based on the principle of using a belt to transmit power and motion between two rotating shafts. The belt is wrapped around two pulleys, with one pulley being connected to a power source and the other connected to the driven shaft. As the power source rotates, the belt moves and transfers the rotational motion to the driven shaft.

Why is a belt used in a belt drive instead of a direct connection between the two shafts?

A belt is used in a belt drive because it allows for a flexible connection between the two shafts. This means that the shafts do not have to be perfectly aligned for the belt to work, which allows for more versatility in the design and placement of the machinery. Additionally, the belt absorbs shock and vibration, reducing wear and tear on the machinery.

What is a link in a belt drive?

In a belt drive, a link refers to the individual pieces of material that make up the belt. These links are connected together to form a continuous loop that wraps around the pulleys. The links are typically made of rubber, leather, or synthetic materials and are designed to be strong and flexible.

Why is a belt used as the link in a belt drive instead of a rigid material?

A belt is used as the link in a belt drive because it allows for a smoother and quieter operation. A rigid material would create more friction and noise as it moves around the pulleys, which can lead to increased wear and tear on the machinery. Additionally, a belt is more flexible, allowing it to wrap around smaller pulleys and transmit power at different angles.

What are the advantages of using a belt drive in machinery?

There are several advantages of using a belt drive in machinery, including flexibility, shock absorption, and reduced wear and tear. Belt drives also allow for varying speeds and torque, making them ideal for different applications. Additionally, belt drives are easy to install and maintain, making them a cost-effective option for many industries.