How much does a person weigh on Mount Everest?

• Thread starter droopster
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of weight at different altitudes using the equations F = (G(m1)(m2)) / r^2 and F = mg. The main point is that Newton's universal law of gravitation applies at all altitudes, including sea level and atop Mount Everest. However, the weight at these different altitudes may vary due to the gravitational field strength.
droopster

Homework Statement

If a person has a mass of 68kg, how much does he weigh on the top of mount everest (8488km above sea level?
Given: m=68kg, d=8488m

Homework Equations

F = (G(m1)(m2)) / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried figuring out the new radius. Once i get the radius i enter all the data and rearrange the formula to get m2 by itself.
Fr^2/Gm1 = m2

My problem is getting the new radius.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the "old" radius?

D H said:
What's the "old" radius?

Sorry, the old radius is the basic radius in the original formula. Its just r^2. But since I am dealing with a new altitude doesn't it change?

You didn't understand my question. I'll take another tack. How much does the person weigh at sea level? Why?

D H said:
You didn't understand my question. I'll take another tack. How much does the person weigh at sea level? Why?

He weighs 668N at sea level. Why? Well His mass multiplied by gravity gives me the weight.

What about Newton's law of gravity? Does that not apply at sea level?

D H said:
What about Newton's law of gravity? Does that not apply at sea level?

As long as an object is at or near the surface of the celestial object and we know the value of g the gravitational field strength at the surface of the celestial body, we can use F= mg to find the weight of the object

Newton's universal law of gravitation, F=GMm/r2, is not called universal just on a whim.

In other words, it applies at sea level as well as atop Mt. Everest.

D H said:
Newton's universal law of gravitation, F=GMm/r2, is not called universal just on a whim.

In other words, it applies at sea level as well as atop Mt. Everest.

But the answers are different. My answer book tells me that the weight on the surface of the Earth is 668 Newtons and 664 Newtons on mount Everest.

Whoops, was i not supposed to read that xD?

Last edited:
No, you were not supposed to see that.

1. What is the average weight of a person on Mount Everest?

The average weight of a person on Mount Everest can vary greatly depending on factors such as their height, body composition, and level of fitness. However, the average weight of a person on Mount Everest is estimated to be around 150-160 pounds.

2. Does a person weigh more or less on Mount Everest?

A person will actually weigh slightly less on Mount Everest due to the decrease in gravitational pull at higher altitudes. However, this weight difference is so small (approximately 0.28%) that it is virtually unnoticeable.

3. How does altitude affect a person's weight on Mount Everest?

As mentioned earlier, the weight of a person on Mount Everest is slightly less due to the decrease in gravitational pull at higher altitudes. Additionally, the decrease in air pressure at higher altitudes can also cause a slight decrease in weight due to the expansion of gases in the body.

4. Can a person's weight change while on Mount Everest?

Yes, a person's weight on Mount Everest can change due to various factors such as fluid retention, dehydration, and changes in body composition. Additionally, as a person climbs higher on the mountain, their weight may fluctuate slightly due to changes in altitude and air pressure.

5. How does a person's weight on Mount Everest affect their climbing ability?

A person's weight on Mount Everest can greatly affect their climbing ability. Carrying excess weight can make the climb more physically challenging and may increase the risk of altitude sickness. On the other hand, being too underweight can also have negative effects on a person's climbing ability, as they may not have enough energy to reach the summit. It is important for climbers to maintain a healthy weight and body composition for optimal performance on Mount Everest.