Why does comoving Hubble radius increase with time?

In summary, the comoving Hubble radius, (aH)^(-1), is constantly increasing in matter or radiation dominated epochs. This is because the scale factor, a, is always positive and increasing, leading to a positive rate of change, da/dt. However, in a decelerating universe without a cosmological constant, da/dt decreases with time, leading to an increase in dt/da, which is another expression for the comoving Hubble radius.
ck99
I am looking at inflation at the moment, and it says in my textbook that (aH)^(-1) is constantly increasing in matter or radiation dominated epochs.

a is always positive and always increasing. This tells me that da/dt is positive. I think that setting the universe to MD/RD means that da/dt is decreasing with time (eg a decelerating universe as there is no cosmological constant driving expansion). So dt/da (which is another expression for comoving Hubble radius) is increasing with time.

Have I got this right?

Space news on Phys.org
da/dt decreasing in time is not a decelerating universe, it's a contracting one.

EDIT: This statement is obviously incorrect. See below for my efforts to redeem myself...

Last edited:
If todays value of da/dt is lower than yesterdays, but they are both greater than 0, doesn't that mean the universe is expanding, but that the rate of expansion is slowing down?

ck99 said:
If todays value of da/dt is lower than yesterdays, but they are both greater than 0, doesn't that mean the universe is expanding, but that the rate of expansion is slowing down?
Errr...of course. My apologies. Yes, the comoving Hubble radius is indeed increasing in time during RD/MD, because as you say the universe is decelerating. You've undoubtedly noticed this is not the case during inflation.

Ummm...no one has answered the question correctly so far.

Comoving Coordinates (and Comoving distances) do NOT increase with the expansion of the Universe, and do not increase in time. That is the whole point of the Comoving coordinate system.

Proper distances increase in time.

The Hubble Paramater is measuring the rate of change of Scale Factor (da/dt) divided by the Scale factor (a). The Scale factor is time-dependent, and is directly related to the Proper distance.

Last edited:
Deuterium2H said:
Ummm...no one has answered the question correctly so far.

Comoving Coordinates (and Comoving distances) do NOT increase with the expansion of the Universe, and do not increase in time. That is the whole point of the Comoving coordinate system.

Proper distances increase in time.

The Hubble Paramater is measuring the rate of change of Proper Distance divided by the Proper Distance.
I think you mean to say that comoving coordinate systems do expand with the universe, so that comoving distances have constant coordinates.

It does not follow that all quantities measured in comoving coordinates are constant -- what would be the point of using them then?? Any proper distance that is not increasing with the expansion will have non-constant comoving coordinates.

The Hubble radius, [itex]H^{-1}[/itex], measured with respect to comoving coordinates is the comoving Hubble radius, [itex](Ha)^{-1}[/itex]. It very much depends on time.

bapowell said:
I think you mean to say that comoving coordinate systems do expand with the universe, so that comoving distances have constant coordinates.

It does not follow that all quantities measured in comoving coordinates are constant -- what would be the point of using them then?? Any proper distance that is not increasing with the expansion will have non-constant comoving coordinates.

The Hubble radius, [itex]H^{-1}[/itex], measured with respect to comoving coordinates is the comoving Hubble radius, [itex](Ha)^{-1}[/itex]. It very much depends on time.

I didn't say that "all quantities measured in comoving coordinates are constant". I specifically said that comoving distances are constant. And any equation involving the Hubble paramater (which involves the scale factor) is time-dependent, because it is based upon proper distance at a given (fixed) instant in time.

Deuterium2H said:
I specifically said that comoving distances are constant.
OK, well then what does this have to do with the OP? He's asking about the comoving Hubble parameter, which is the Hubble parameter in comoving coordinates. It is not a comoving distance!
And any equation involving the Hubble paramater (which involves the scale factor) is time-dependent, because it is based upon proper distance.
I don't know what this has to do with the OP. Looks like you're making things more confused than they need to be. He's asking about the comoving Hubble radius. It is increasing in an RD/MD universe. So please tell me where we've gone wrong here?

bapowell said:
OK, well then what does this have to do with the OP? He's asking about the comoving Hubble parameter, which is the Hubble parameter in comoving coordinates. It is not a comoving distance!

I don't know what this has to do with the OP. Looks like you're making things more confused than they need to be. He's asking about the comoving Hubble radius. It is increasing in an RD/MD universe. So please tell me where we've gone wrong here?

Perhaps I misunderstood the question of the OP. The term Comoving Hubble radius only makes sense when measured at a particular instant of cosmological time, and it is dependent upon the coordinate (proper) distance at the time of measuement.

And I agree, I have probably needlessly confused the question in the original post.

Last edited:
Deuterium2H said:
The term Comoving Hubble radius only makes sense when measured at a particular instant of cosmological time, and it is dependent upon the coordinate (proper) distance at the time of measuement.
Yes, it is the quantity [itex](aH)^{-1}[/itex], which is a function of coordinate time, [itex]t[/itex].

ck99 said:
I am looking at inflation at the moment, and it says in my textbook that (aH)^(-1) is constantly increasing in matter or radiation dominated epochs.

a is always positive and always increasing. This tells me that da/dt is positive. I think that setting the universe to MD/RD means that da/dt is decreasing with time (eg a decelerating universe as there is no cosmological constant driving expansion). So dt/da (which is another expression for comoving Hubble radius) is increasing with time.

Have I got this right?

Yeah, your reasoning sounds alright to me. As you've already pointed out, just from the definition of the Hubble parameter [itex] (aH)^{-1} = (\dot{a})^{-1} [/itex]. For the rad-dominated and matter-dominated cases, a~t1/2 and a~t2/3 respectively. (I believe that these only apply for models with no cosmological constant). Differentiating those, you get da/dt ~ t-1/2 or t-1/3 respectively. So a-dot decreases with time, which means that its reciprocal increases with time.

Hooray! Nothing is simple in cosmology, is it? :D

1. Why does the comoving Hubble radius increase with time?

The comoving Hubble radius increases with time because it is a measure of the distance at which the expansion of the universe causes objects to recede from each other at a velocity equal to the speed of light. As the universe expands, the distance between objects increases, causing the comoving Hubble radius to also increase.

2. How is the comoving Hubble radius related to the expansion of the universe?

The comoving Hubble radius is directly related to the expansion of the universe as it is a measure of the scale at which objects are being pushed away from each other due to the expansion. As the universe continues to expand, the comoving Hubble radius will also continue to increase.

3. Does the comoving Hubble radius have a fixed value?

No, the comoving Hubble radius does not have a fixed value. It changes over time as the expansion of the universe continues. The current estimated value of the comoving Hubble radius is approximately 14 billion parsecs.

4. How is the comoving Hubble radius different from the proper Hubble radius?

The comoving Hubble radius takes into account the expansion of the universe, while the proper Hubble radius does not. The proper Hubble radius is a measure of the distance at which objects appear to be receding from each other due to their relative velocities, while the comoving Hubble radius also considers the effect of the expanding universe on these velocities.

5. Can the comoving Hubble radius be used to measure the age of the universe?

No, the comoving Hubble radius is not a direct measure of the age of the universe. However, it can provide important information about the expansion rate and overall size of the universe, which can be used in conjunction with other measurements to estimate the age of the universe.