Tension Direction: Rope Angle, Middle & Ends

In summary, the direction of tension in a rope is always parallel to the rope at that point. The tension in a rope at any point is always parallel to the rope at that point (ie the tangent). If you want to find the tension in a rope, you should consider one half of the rope.
david456103
Is the direction of tension always tangent to the rope or thing for which it is acting? For example, let's say that there is a rope hanging with both ends on two trees at equal heights. THen the rope would form a parabolic shape. Would the tension, say, at the middle, then be directed horizontally?
Another question. How do you determine the direction of tension? In the above example, in which direction would the tension in the middle of the rope point? What about at the two ends?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi david456103! welcome to pf! :smile:

yes, the tension in a rope at any point is always parallel to the rope at that point (ie the tangent)

(and each tiny element of the rope has the tension pulling it at both ends in opposite directions)

david456103 said:
Is the direction of tension always tangent to the rope or thing for which it is acting? For example, let's say that there is a rope hanging with both ends on two trees at equal heights. THen the rope would form a parabolic shape. Would the tension, say, at the middle, then be directed horizontally?
Yes to all of that. (For a flexible rope, at least.)
Another question. How do you determine the direction of tension? In the above example, in which direction would the tension in the middle of the rope point? What about at the two ends?
By direction of tension I assume you really want the direction of the force due to the tension. Just remember that ropes can't push. So at any point along the rope, each side pulls against the other with a force tangent to the rope.

thanks for the answers tim and Doc Al, it makes more sense now
but if the tension force pulls both ends of a tiny element in opposite directions, wouldn't the net force on each tiny element be 0, and thus the net force on the rope be 0? please correct me if my reasoning is flawed

david456103 said:
but if the tension force pulls both ends of a tiny element in opposite directions, wouldn't the net force on each tiny element be 0, and thus the net force on the rope be 0? please correct me if my reasoning is flawed
Nothing wrong with your reasoning. We usually (at least in elementary problems) treat the rope as being massless, so there is no net force on any element. (Real ropes have mass and weight, of course.)

The reason I asked about tension is because I'm trying to solve the following problem(Kleppner 2.22):
"A uniform rope of weight W hangs between two trees. The ends of the rope are the same height, and they each make angle thetha with the trees. Find:
a. The tension at either end of the rope
b. The tension in the middle of the rope"

I have no problem with part a; the tension at each end points outward(northwest) at angle theta to the horizontal, and from there it is just algebra.
I have more trouble with part b. On various online sources, they told me to consider "one half of the rope". Let's say we consider the left half. Then there is a horizontal force T(end)cos(theta) to the left, and a horizontal force T(middle) to the left, so the net force on the left portion wouldn't be zero.

david456103 said:
I have more trouble with part b. On various online sources, they told me to consider "one half of the rope". Let's say we consider the left half. Then there is a horizontal force T(end)cos(theta) to the left, and a horizontal force T(middle) to the left, so the net force on the left portion wouldn't be zero.
Note that the rope is not massless--it has weight W. The net force on the rope--including gravity--will equal zero. That should allow you to figure out the tension in the middle. (If you want the tension in the middle, you should consider one half of the rope.)

david456103 said:

Might this belong in the homework section?

In any case, T(middle) acting on the left half is a force to the right - it's what's keeping the left half from swinging back against the left-hand tree.

hi david45610! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
david456103 said:
… if the tension force pulls both ends of a tiny element in opposite directions, wouldn't the net force on each tiny element be 0, and thus the net force on the rope be 0?

in equilibrium, the net force must be zero, mustn't it? :wink:

for a massless rope, this proves the tension must be the same everywhere

for a massive rope, it usually won't be, eg if it's hanging vertically, then each element of length dz will have T(z+dz) = T(z) + (mg/L)dz, ie dT/dz = mg/L
david456103 said:
b. The tension in the middle of the rope"

… they told me to consider "one half of the rope". Let's say we consider the left half. Then there is a horizontal force T(end)cos(theta) to the left, and a horizontal force T(middle) to the left, so the net force on the left portion wouldn't be zero.

(you mean "T(middle) to the right" :wink:)

the net force must be zero (in equilibrium) …

the two Ts are different, so use that equation, and a vertical equation (including W/2) to find the two Ts …

what do you get? :smile:

1. What is tension direction in relation to rope angle?

The tension direction refers to the force applied to a rope, which can vary depending on the angle at which the rope is pulled. As the angle of the rope increases, the tension direction also changes, affecting the overall strength and stability of the rope.

2. What is the significance of the middle and end points in determining tension direction?

The middle and end points of a rope play a crucial role in determining the tension direction. The middle point is where the majority of the tension is applied, while the end points determine the angle at which the tension is distributed along the rope.

3. How does rope angle affect tension direction?

The angle at which a rope is pulled can greatly impact the tension direction. As the angle increases, the tension direction shifts towards the direction of the pull, making the rope stronger and more stable. However, if the angle is too steep, it can put excessive strain on the rope and cause it to fail.

4. Can rope angle and tension direction be calculated?

Yes, rope angle and tension direction can be calculated using trigonometric formulas. By knowing the length of the rope, the angle at which it is pulled, and the weight or force applied, the tension direction can be determined. This is important in ensuring the rope can withstand the intended load without breaking.

5. How can tension direction be adjusted?

Tension direction can be adjusted by changing the angle at which the rope is pulled. By increasing or decreasing the angle, the tension direction can be shifted to better distribute the force along the rope. Additionally, using multiple ropes or changing the anchor points can also help adjust the tension direction.