Turbine engine burner can hole size

In summary: This will lead you to a few different equations that you can use to determine the hole size. In summary, to build a turbine engine, you will need to use a scientific approach that takes into account the compressor specifications. You will need to determine the hole size using equations that take into account the differential pressure across the burner wall.
iwant2beoz
Im building a turbine engine and I am having trouble figuring out the hole sizes for the burner can, my problem is that I am not using a compressor section but rather using an air compressor for the air intake so I can't use the standard formula, can I? If I know my blad diameter and the flow rate of the compressor can I work out the burner dimensions from that or will I have to use trial and error? That you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The source of the compressed air does not matter.
What matters is the pressure of the air surrounding the combustion chamber.
Use a hole size determined by the air pressure and flow available.

Ok, I don't know the formula for that, do you know where I can find it?

iwant2beoz said:
my problem is that I am not using a compressor section but rather using an air compressor for the air intake so I can't use the standard formula, can I?
Where is, or what is the standard formula?

Make the diameter of the flame tube 2x the diameter of the intake, the length 6x the diameter of the intake. Make 3 rows of holes, the first 20% the area of the intake, the second 30% and the third 50%. This is the only formula can find. This is for an engine with only one burner,

You have not identified the scale of your implementation, such as your compressor characteristics.
Combustor design for you is now a black art, it will becomes an artistic style before it matures into a formulaic science.

You are going to have to apply a scientific approach to this engineering question.
The combustor design will be determined by the compressor operating specifications.
For clean combustion, you will require 15 times the mass of air as fuel.
Plus you need cooling air to protect the combustor from the flame.

The size of the holes will be dependent on the differential pressure across the burner wall.
The number of holes will be proportional to the flow rate of the compressed air.
The position of the holes will be dependent on the cooling, the fuel injection and ignition points.

Start with; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustor#Air_flow_paths
It is then time to google “turbine combustor”.

1. What is the purpose of the burner can hole size in a turbine engine?

The burner can hole size in a turbine engine is critical for proper fuel and air mixing inside the combustion chamber. It affects the combustion efficiency and ultimately the thrust and performance of the engine.

2. How is the burner can hole size determined?

The burner can hole size is determined through careful design and testing by engineers. Factors such as fuel type, engine size, and intended use of the engine all play a role in determining the optimal hole size.

3. Can the burner can hole size be changed or adjusted?

Yes, the burner can hole size can be changed or adjusted during the design process or during maintenance and repair of the engine. However, any changes must be carefully considered and tested to ensure optimal engine performance.

4. What happens if the burner can hole size is too small?

If the burner can hole size is too small, it can result in poor fuel and air mixing, leading to incomplete combustion and reduced engine performance. It can also cause overheating and potential damage to the engine.

5. Is the burner can hole size the same for all turbine engines?

No, the burner can hole size can vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the engine. Different engines may require different hole sizes to achieve optimal performance.