Mass in Relativity: Bucherer's Experiment Result

In summary, there is a debate about whether Bucherer's experimental result can be considered as a starting point for relativistic dynamics, independent from Einstein's special relativity. Some argue that Kaufmann's experiments, which came before Bucherer's, should hold more historical priority. For more information, refer to the Usenet Physics FAQ.
bernhard.rothenstein
could ve consider that m=gamaxm(0) is an experimental result (Bucherer)?

Physics news on Phys.org
bernhard.rothenstein said:
could ve consider that m=gamaxm(0) is an experimental result (Bucherer)?

Jeez! Can't we get a common sticky or something on this issue? It DOESN't MATTER whether you use invariant mass or [tex]\gamma m[/tex] as long as you are consistent, and quoting some physicist or textbook who does one or the other does not establish any TRUTH.

selfAdjoint said:
Jeez! Can't we get a common sticky or something on this issue? It DOESN't MATTER whether you use invariant mass or [tex]\gamma m[/tex] as long as you are consistent, and quoting some physicist or textbook who does one or the other does not establish any TRUTH.

Why not place - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/mass_paper.pdf
as a sticky. I covered all aspects of mass and made my best attempt at being neutral but I do have my preferences! Take a look at it and see if you want to make it a sticky. I'd enjoy reading your response to it, even if you just place it in my PM box.

Pete

bucherer

selfAdjoint said:
my problem is not with semantics (mass, relativistic mass...) but with the problem if Bucherer's result could be a starting point in relativistic dynamics? Please be more explicit with with your first sentence.

If you're asking about historical priority, Kaufmann's experiments on fast-moving electrons (1906) came before Bucherer's (1908).

For specific references, see the relevant section of the Usenet Physics FAQ.

jtbell said:
If you're asking about historical priority, Kaufmann's experiments on fast-moving electrons (1906) came before Bucherer's (1908).

For specific references, see the relevant section of the Usenet Physics FAQ.
thanks for your help. my problem is not with the priority but with the fact if Bucherer's (Kaufman's) result could be considered as independent from Einstein's special relativity and if we could start with it in order to derive relativistic dynamics.

1. What is Bucherer's experiment and what did it prove?

Bucherer's experiment, also known as the Mass in Relativity Experiment, was designed to test Einstein's theory of relativity. It involved accelerating ions to high speeds and measuring their mass. The results showed that as the ions' speeds approached the speed of light, their mass increased, providing evidence for the theory of relativity.

2. How does Bucherer's experiment relate to the concept of mass in relativity?

Bucherer's experiment directly relates to the concept of mass in relativity because it demonstrated the increase in mass as an object approaches the speed of light. This is a key component of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

3. What implications did Bucherer's experiment have for the field of physics?

Bucherer's experiment had significant implications for the field of physics. It provided further evidence for Einstein's theory of relativity and helped to solidify it as a fundamental aspect of modern physics. It also opened up new avenues for research and exploration in the study of mass, energy, and the relationship between the two.

4. How did Bucherer's experiment impact our understanding of the universe?

Bucherer's experiment had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It provided evidence for the concept of mass-energy equivalence and showed that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. This has allowed for a better understanding of the behavior of objects in our universe and has led to advancements in fields such as cosmology and astrophysics.

5. Are there any limitations to Bucherer's experiment?

Like all scientific experiments, Bucherer's experiment has its limitations. One major limitation is that it only tested the effects of acceleration on ions. It did not take into account other factors that may affect mass, such as gravity. Additionally, the experiment was conducted on a small scale and may not accurately reflect the behavior of larger objects in the universe. Further research and experimentation are necessary to fully understand the concept of mass in relativity.