Is mathematics discovered or created?

• Thread starter opticaltempest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary: Now, onto philosophy: but does your 'abstract' model actually exist in any platonic sense?Arguably what you have discovered isn't maths. It might be mathematical, it might use mathematics, but that does not make it mathematics but an application of mathematics.
opticaltempest

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder how many threads have the exact same title. Seeing as there are so many threads on this topic, you should either just search those old posts, or try to say something interesting about it here.

Someone should move this thread to philosophy where it belongs.

I'm moving it to philosophy of science and mathematics.

I'll also answer: "Both!"

Mathematical theorems are created when we choose the axioms for the mathematical system. Of course, what statements are theorems (are provable in that system) is not immediately obvious ("emergent properties" is a good phrase to use here). We "discover" the theorems when we prove them.

HallsofIvy said:
Mathematical theorems are created when we choose the axioms for the mathematical system. Of course, what statements are theorems (are provable in that system) is not immediately obvious ("emergent properties" is a good phrase to use here). We "discover" the theorems when we prove them.

But surely if anything is freely created, it's the proofs. Granted Erdos had the Platonic ideal of the Book of maximally elegant proofs, but that was an ideal not a present resource for mathematicians.

We seem to "find" the theorems in our heads as potential truths and then prove them by creating chains of logically interrelated statements.

opticaltempest said:

I'm currently in a process which involves both. Experiences in research lead to discovery of results which are real. This is then driving me to create an abstract description out of whatever i can find that initially feels right. The creative process is vital, and for me this involves self teaching a very steep hill. Things are going well, perhaps in spite of the fact i am not allowed to post how my ideas are developing here.

Getting stuff right, tried and tested can come later. What arises without the intial creativity ?

You are allowed to post if you observe some conventions such as if you use a phrase you define what it means if it is not alread known, and do not use extant words to mean different things without explaining what the new meaning is. I doubt that your posting or not posting here has any bearing on anyone's research. This however is not the place for that discussion. There is a forum feedback section that might be more appropriate.

Now, onto philosophy: but does your 'abstract' model actually exist in any platonic sense? Arguably what you have discovered isn't maths. It might be mathematical, it might use mathematics, but that does not make it mathematics but an application of mathematics.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
We seem to "find" the theorems in our heads as potential truths and then prove them by creating chains of logically interrelated statements.
That reminds me of a quote I liked.
Karl Kerenyi began his 1976 English language translation of Dionysus with this passage:

"The interdependence of thought and speech makes it clear that languages are not so much a means of expressing truth that has already been established as means of discovering truth that was previously unknown. Their diversity is a diversity not of sounds and signs but of ways of looking at the world."​

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_hypothesis)
(Also spelled Carl Kerenyi.)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Is mathematics a human invention?

There is a debate among mathematicians and philosophers about whether mathematics is a human invention or a discovery of universal truths. Some argue that mathematical concepts are created by humans to describe and understand the world, while others argue that mathematics exists independently of human thought and is discovered through observation and reasoning.

2. What evidence supports the idea that mathematics is discovered?

One piece of evidence for the discovery view of mathematics is the existence of mathematical concepts and principles that seem to be universal and unchanging, such as the laws of geometry and arithmetic. These concepts are not dependent on human language or culture, suggesting that they exist independently of human invention.

3. How does the concept of mathematical objects relate to the debate?

The concept of mathematical objects, such as numbers, shapes, and equations, is often used to support the idea that mathematics is discovered. These objects are seen as existing independently of human thought, and our understanding of them is a result of discovering their properties and relationships through observation and reasoning.

4. Can mathematics be both discovered and created?

Some argue that mathematics is both discovered and created. They believe that while the fundamental concepts and principles of mathematics are discovered, humans have the ability to create new mathematical ideas and structures through our imagination and creativity.

5. How does the debate impact the study and practice of mathematics?

The debate about whether mathematics is discovered or created has a significant impact on the study and practice of mathematics. It influences how mathematicians approach their work and the types of questions they seek to answer. It also affects how mathematics is taught, with some educators focusing on the discovery aspect and others emphasizing the creative aspect of mathematics.