What are some suggestions for books that explain electromagnetic theory?

In summary, the conversation is about finding books that explain electromagnetic theory. The person asking the question mentions that many books seem to be written for those who already have a good understanding of the subject, and is looking for suggestions for books that are suitable for their level of knowledge. They also mention that they are in Southeast Asia but can easily access books through eBay. The other person in the conversation asks for more specific details, such as the emphasis they are looking for and their preferred mathematical level. They suggest several books, including The Feynman Lectures, Volume II and Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics, and also recommend browsing through Dover's E&M books. Another person joins the conversation and suggests Griffith's undergraduate textbook, and the original person
NUMB_NUTS
Hi, could anyone please let me know of any books that explain electromagnetic theory.
Unfortunately a lot of books seem to be written for people who already know the subject well.Probably teaching aids i think. I am in s/e/asia but not a problem as i can always look up ebay. any suggestions please.

many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How well do you know the subject already? How well do you want to know it after your read?

There are tons of E&M books. Is there some emphasis in particular you were looking for? What mathematical level are you looking for? Do you want more of a physics emphasis, or more of an engineering emphasis?

The Feynman Lectures, Volume II is very good on E&M (though some topics like radiation, interference, diffraction, and polarization are actually covered in volume I, before Maxwell's equations are introduced). No exercises, though

At the risk of sounding like I have stock in Dover books, I'll recommend Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics again. It's at the upper-division undergraduate level, but self-contained. He uses Gaussian units. It's a very inexpensive paperback. Dover has a lot of E&M books you might browse if you can find them in a bookstore. I think Rojansky is one of the simpler ones.

I've heard very good things about Griffith's undergraduate textbook.

many thanks i'll take a look and hopefully they will be of help.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between electrically charged particles and their surrounding electromagnetic fields. It is a fundamental force of nature that explains the behavior of electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How does an electromagnetic field work?

An electromagnetic field is created when an electrically charged particle is in motion. As the particle moves, it generates a changing electric field, which in turn creates a changing magnetic field. These two fields are intertwined and travel together, forming an electromagnetic wave.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum refers to the entire range of electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of wave has a different frequency and wavelength, and they are used in various technologies such as communication, medical imaging, and energy production.

4. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It is used in electricity generation, motors and generators, electronic devices such as phones and computers, and medical equipment like MRI machines. It also enables wireless communication, including radio, television, and cell phones.

5. What are the four Maxwell's equations?

The four Maxwell's equations are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law, and Ampere's law. These equations are the foundation of electromagnetic theory and are used to solve complex problems related to electromagnetism.