Cant remember how to use formula

• Thread starter lostit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, The formula for finding the slope of a line is m = (y2-y1)/(x2-x1) and the equation of the line is y = mx + c, where x and y are coordinates of any point on the line. The question about c is unclear, as c is not equal to (m)(x) and the correct equation is c = -mx1 + y1.
lostit
Cant remember how to use formula !

i can't for the life of me remember which way to do this formula someone please show me the light,,,,,
to find the slope(m) of the line you have y2 - y1 / x2 - x1 am i right then getting the result (m) you use this formula y=mx+c
taking y1 for y and x1 for x ,
now here's my question
we have c = (m)(x) is it - y or is it /y

thanks for your replys in advance..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex] m = \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}} [/tex] [tex] y = mx+c [/tex] then [tex] c = y_1-mx_1 [/tex]

Last edited:
y=mx + c is the equation of the line. Here x and y are coordinates of any point on that line.
(y2-y1)/(x2-x2) will give you the slope m. Here x1 y1, x2 y2 are coordinates of two particular points.
Your question makes no sense, as c is not equal to (m)(x)

courtrigrad said:
[tex] m = \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}} [/tex] [tex] y = mx+c [/tex] then [tex] c = y-mx [/tex]

[tex]c = -mx_{1}+y_{1}[/tex].

1. What causes difficulty in remembering how to use a formula?

Difficulty in remembering how to use a formula can be caused by a variety of factors, including lack of practice, complexity of the formula, and cognitive overload. It can also be a result of not fully understanding the underlying concepts or not having a clear understanding of the steps involved in using the formula.

2. How can I improve my ability to remember how to use formulas?

One way to improve your ability to remember how to use formulas is through consistent practice. Repetition can help solidify the steps and concepts in your mind. Breaking down complex formulas into smaller, manageable parts can also make it easier to remember. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and principles can aid in remembering the steps involved in using a formula.

3. Are there any techniques or strategies to help with remembering formulas?

Yes, there are several techniques and strategies that can help with remembering formulas. Creating visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, can enhance memory retention. Using mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or rhymes, can also aid in remembering the steps of a formula. Additionally, practicing active recall, where you try to recall the formula without looking at it, can improve memory retention.

4. Is there a limit to how many formulas I can remember at once?

The limit to how many formulas you can remember at once will vary for each individual. Some people may have a better capacity for remembering formulas than others. However, it is important to note that consistently practicing and reviewing formulas can help increase your ability to remember them.

5. Is forgetting how to use a formula a sign of a larger issue with my memory?

Forgetting how to use a formula does not necessarily indicate a larger issue with your memory. It is a common occurrence and can happen to anyone. However, if you consistently struggle with remembering formulas or have difficulty with memory in other areas, it may be worth discussing with a medical professional.