Where Can I Find Nuclear Well Logging and MRI Animations for Presentations?

In summary, the conversation discussed the need for recommendations of websites containing animations about Nuclear well logging and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging for use in presentations. The Prince suggested the Center for Applied Scientific Computing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory as a potential resource. The conversation also mentioned the need for animations to help classmates understand the physics of MRI.
The Prince
Hey ,

Actually I need someone to recommend some useful web sites that would contians animations about Nuclear well logging and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging to help me in my presentations . :cool:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you googled on those terms? You will get millions of hits.

The Prince said:
Hey ,

Actually I need someone to recommend some useful web sites that would contians animations about Nuclear well logging and Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Imaging to help me in my presentations . :cool:
The Prince,

Courtesy of the Center for Applied Scientific Computing at Lawrence Livermore
National Laboratory:

http://www.llnl.gov/CASC/well_log/

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there ,

Yep,of course I searched the web about this . Again I need ANIMATIONS so that my classmates would understand the physics of MRI easily .

What is nuclear well logging?

Nuclear well logging is a technique used in the oil and gas industry to measure the properties and characteristics of rock formations deep underground. It involves lowering a probe or tool into a well and using nuclear sources to emit particles that interact with the surrounding rock. The detected radiation is then measured and analyzed to provide information about the composition, density, and fluid content of the rock layers.

What is the purpose of nuclear well logging?

The purpose of nuclear well logging is to gather data and insights about the subsurface geology and fluid content of a well. This information is crucial in making decisions about drilling and production strategies, as well as evaluating the potential for oil and gas reserves. Nuclear well logging can also be used to identify and characterize other resources such as coal, minerals, and groundwater.

How does nuclear well logging differ from other well logging techniques?

Nuclear well logging uses radioactive sources to emit particles that interact with the formation, whereas other well logging techniques use sound waves, electrical currents, or other physical measurements. Nuclear well logging is typically more accurate and can provide information about the elemental composition of the rock, while other techniques may only provide indirect measurements of properties such as porosity and permeability.

What is MRI and how is it used in the oil and gas industry?

MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, which is a medical imaging technique that uses strong magnetic fields and radio waves to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. In the oil and gas industry, MRI is used as a non-invasive method for measuring the fluid content and saturation of rock formations in a well. It can also be used to detect the presence of hydrocarbons, determine the type of fluid present, and estimate the volume of oil or gas in the formation.

How does MRI differ from nuclear well logging?

MRI and nuclear well logging both use nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) technology, but they differ in the type of nuclear source and the way the data is collected and interpreted. MRI uses a low-energy radio frequency pulse, while nuclear well logging uses high-energy gamma rays or neutrons. MRI also produces images, while nuclear well logging provides numerical data. Additionally, MRI is limited to small-scale imaging, while nuclear well logging can cover a larger area and penetrate deeper into the formation.