Calculating the theoretical net charge

In summary, the conversation discusses a peptide that has been amidated at its C-terminus and the individual is seeking help in calculating its theoretical net charge. They mention the isoelectric point and determining the charges of the side groups of the peptide by considering their pKa values and whether they will be protonated or deprotonated at a given pH. They also mention not ignoring the pKa of the amine terminus as an ammonium ion.
researcher87
I was given this peptide:

GAKKIYPRVSACMIHGGAVIAIDMDGTDA

I then amidated the C-terminal, and i need to figure out how to calculate the theoretical net charge of the amidated peptide.
Can anyone help me please!
I have a feeling it is something to do with the isoelectric point but I'm not sure.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have capped the carboxyl terminus (the amine terminus remains), this question is asking you to determine the charges of the side groups of the peptide. Write down all of the peptides that have ionizable side groups and their pKa's. Determine which ones will be protonated and deprotonated at the pH (which is not given by you in your OP). Ignore ion pairs and count the excess negative or excess positive charges. Don't ignore the amine terminus' pKa (as ammonium ion).

Calculating the theoretical net charge of a peptide involves determining the number of positively charged amino acids (such as lysine and arginine) and negatively charged amino acids (such as aspartic acid and glutamic acid) in the sequence and taking into account any modifications, such as amidation of the C-terminal.

To calculate the theoretical net charge of the amidated peptide, you will need to first identify the positively and negatively charged amino acids in the sequence. In this case, the positively charged amino acids are lysine (K) and arginine (R), while the negatively charged amino acids are aspartic acid (D) and glutamic acid (E). You can assign a charge of +1 to lysine and arginine, and -1 to aspartic acid and glutamic acid.

Next, you will need to take into account the amidation of the C-terminal. Amidation involves replacing the carboxyl group (-COOH) with an amide group (-CONH2), resulting in a neutral charge. Therefore, the C-terminal will no longer contribute to the net charge of the peptide.

To calculate the theoretical net charge, you can add up the charges of all the amino acids in the sequence, taking into account the amidation of the C-terminal. In this case, the sequence contains 3 lysine, 1 arginine, 2 aspartic acid, and 1 glutamic acid. Therefore, the net charge would be (+3) + (+1) + (-2) + (-1) = +1.

Alternatively, you can also use a tool such as the online isoelectric point calculator to determine the theoretical net charge of your peptide. This tool takes into account the pKa values of each amino acid and can also consider modifications such as amidation.

In summary, to calculate the theoretical net charge of an amidated peptide, you will need to identify the positively and negatively charged amino acids in the sequence and take into account any modifications. This can be done manually or with the help of online tools. I hope this helps!

What is the definition of theoretical net charge?

The theoretical net charge is the sum of all the positive and negative charges in a molecule or ion, taking into account the number of protons and electrons present. It is an important concept in chemistry and is used to determine the overall charge of a substance.

How do you calculate the theoretical net charge of a molecule?

To calculate the theoretical net charge, you need to know the number of protons and electrons in the molecule or ion. The net charge is then determined by subtracting the number of electrons from the number of protons. If there are more protons, the net charge will be positive, and if there are more electrons, the net charge will be negative.

What is the significance of calculating the theoretical net charge?

Calculating the theoretical net charge allows us to determine the overall charge of a molecule or ion, which is important in understanding its chemical properties and reactions. It also helps us to predict how the molecule or ion will interact with other substances.

Can the theoretical net charge change?

Yes, the theoretical net charge can change depending on the number of protons and electrons present. This can occur through chemical reactions, where atoms gain or lose electrons, or in nuclear reactions, where protons and neutrons can also change.

How does the theoretical net charge relate to the actual charge of a molecule or ion?

The theoretical net charge is the calculated charge based on the number of protons and electrons, while the actual charge may differ due to other factors such as the presence of ions in solution. However, the theoretical net charge provides a useful baseline for understanding the overall charge of a substance.