Build a Vending Machine: Research, Plans & Programming

• Thread starter ENGRedcupcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary: Thanks for the input.In summary, Warren is looking for information about building a vending machine and asks for help from others on the internet.
ENGRedcupcake
Hi I'm new, so I hope this goes in the rite place and i hope this doesn't sound too vague. I've been thinking of building a vending machine for my senior eet project. Rite now I'm still in the process of researching and seeing how feasible this really is. I asked one of my professors and he just said that by the end of summer class (PLC and microcontroller) I should have a better grip on things. But that won't help me now. I was wondering if anyone c ould point me in the direction of any information, websites, books,etc. on the detailed working of a vending machine so I can devise a way to build one.
-------------------------------------
I guess I should say what've I found so far: I found a few public patents, and the mindstorms version of one. I remember in one of my java programming classes we did all the programming for a vending machines operations so I think once I get to that part it'll be not too bad. but that's a bit different from actually building one.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You want to make a... complete vending machine? Or just the logical control system for a vending machine?

If you just mean the logical control system, you should follow this procedure:

1) Develop your state machine.
2) Break the state machine down into functions.
3) K-map the functions and implement them on a PLC.

The vending machine is almost a de-facto standard teaching tool, so you should be able to find information about them in almost any book on digital electronics. Have you tried your library?

- Warren

I want to make a complete vending machine... slightly ambitious I know. I'm going to look at the library...though Southern's library has a tendency to be really really outdated, I might just have to buy one somewhere. I know we did a lot dealing with the vending machine when I was taking my programming classes. but now it's all about motors and things... being out in the field. thanks for help, that gives me a good push.

I don't know much about them myself, but I'd consider using a freezer turned on end (or a stand-up one) as the chassis and cooling system. That way a large and complicated part of the work is done for you. :biggrin:

...yea I was thinking of maybe converting my mini fridge for the body and all.

1. What is a vending machine?

A vending machine is a self-service machine that dispenses items such as snacks, beverages, and other consumer products. It is typically found in public places such as schools, offices, and shopping centers.

2. How does a vending machine work?

A vending machine works by using a combination of mechanical, electrical, and computerized systems. When a customer inserts coins, bills, or uses a credit card, it triggers the machine to release the selected product. The machine also keeps track of inventory and sales data.

3. What are the benefits of building a vending machine?

Building a vending machine can have several benefits, including providing a convenient and accessible way for customers to purchase products, increasing sales and revenue, and reducing labor costs by eliminating the need for a cashier. It also allows for customization and control over the products being sold.

4. What are the key components needed to build a vending machine?

The key components needed to build a vending machine include a sturdy and secure cabinet, a coin mechanism, a bill acceptor, a product delivery system, a control system, and a display screen or interface for customers to make selections and pay for their items.

5. What is the process for programming a vending machine?

The process for programming a vending machine involves creating a database of products, setting prices and inventory levels, and programming the control system to respond to customer inputs and dispense the selected product. It also involves troubleshooting and testing to ensure the machine operates correctly.