Find the Value of (1/3) in Radians with tan(cos^-1) in Quick and Easy Way"

• Thread starter Karma
  • Start date
In summary, the question is whether it is possible to represent the value of (1/3) in terms of radians for the function tan (cos-(1/3)). After deriving the solution, it was found that the answer is tan(70.52877939). The cosine function is defined as the ratio of the lengths of the adjacent and hypotenuse sides of a triangle. To find the tangent angle, the Pythagorean theorem was used to find the opposite side, and the tangent function was then applied. It was also mentioned that a more formal method using trig identities could be used, resulting in the same answer.
For the question tan (cos-(1/3))... is it possible to represent the value of (1/3) in terms of radians? if not would the answer be tan(70.52877939)(- being the inverse of cos)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
a = cos-1(x) or a = arccos(x) is the solution to x = cos(a). The argument of cos (that is a) can be in radians, but x is a real number.

What is the definition of cosine?

How did you get tan(70.52877939)?

Ahhh...well after looking at it carefully ..i have derived this as my solution...please tell me if i did it right or wrong..

tan (cos-(1/3))

pheta= @

cos- means the return of an angle. so...cos(x)=@ than cos-(cos@)=0
@=cos- (1/3) --> cos@=1/3

Cos@= adjacent/hyponeus
cos@=1/3

cos is the ratio of the lengths of adjacent and hypotneuse of the triangle

to find the other side which is the opposite side.. i used the pythagorean theorm which is
the Hypotneuse^2 - Adjacent^2 and this becomes...

3^2 -1^2 ( all over square root)
so the square root of 8 is the opposite

and to find the tangent angle now is easy since i have the opposite and adjacent side

this becomes tan@= sqrt(8)/1

therefore the answer is tan (cos-(1/3))=tan@=sqrt(8)/1

is my solution correct? and thanks for the help.

If you want to do it more formally, you can use trig identities:
[tex]tan(\theta)= \frac{sin(\theta)}{cos(\theta)}= \frac{\sqrt{1- cos^2(\theta)}}{cos(\theta)}[/tex]
Since know that [itex]\theta= cos^{-1}(1/3)[/itex], [itex]cos(\theta)= 1/3[/itex] so
[tex]tan(cos^{-1}(1/3))= \frac{\sqrt{1- \frac{1}{9}}}{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\frac{\sqrt{8}}{3}}{\frac{1}{3}}= \sqrt{8}= 2\sqrt{2}[/tex]

But using setting it up in terms of a triangle is simpler and better.

1. What is the value of (1/3) in radians?

The value of (1/3) in radians is approximately 0.333 radians.

2. How do you find the value of (1/3) in radians quickly?

To find the value of (1/3) in radians quickly, you can use a scientific calculator or a reference table for trigonometric functions.

3. What is the meaning of tan(cos^-1)?

Tan(cos^-1) is the inverse function of cosine, which means it will give the angle in radians whose cosine is equal to the given value. In this case, it will give the angle whose cosine is equal to (1/3).

4. How do you find the value of (1/3) in radians using the tan(cos^-1) function?

To find the value of (1/3) in radians using the tan(cos^-1) function, you can first find the angle whose cosine is equal to (1/3) and then take the tangent of that angle. This will give you the value of (1/3) in radians.

5. Is there any other way to find the value of (1/3) in radians?

Yes, there are other methods to find the value of (1/3) in radians, such as using the unit circle or using the definition of radians as the ratio of arc length to radius. However, using the tan(cos^-1) function is a quick and easy way to find the value.