Solved: Proving x^4-3x^3+4x^2-3x+1 \geq 0 for all real x | Polynomial Inequality

In summary, Dick suggested that the OP try dividing the polynomial (x-1)(x^3-2x^2+2x-1) into another polynomial (x-1)(x^2-x+1). This will give the OP the roots of (x-1)^2(x^2-x+1), which will be non-negative.
Gib Z
Homework Helper
[SOLVED] Polynomial inequality

Homework Statement

Show [tex]x^4-3x^3+4x^2-3x+1 \geq 0[/tex] for all real x.

Homework Equations

[tex]a^2 \geq 0[/tex]
Cant think of any more.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to factor it relentlessly, because I would have sworn on my life there was a nice trick for factoring polynomials with symmetrical and alternating co efficients, but I can't remember...By observation i can see the inequality is trivial if x is less than 0 or greater than 3. But I can't fill the gap.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the tricks. If a is a root then (x-a) is a factor. Look for obvious roots. There's an easy way to list all possible rational roots as well, right?

Think about (x - 1)^3 = x^3 - 3x^2 + 3X -1

When you have A(x).B(x) >= 0, and you know A(x) >= 0 for all x then you prove B(x) >= 0 for all real x.

Gib Z said:
I've tried to factor it relentlessly, because I would have sworn on my life there was a nice trick for factoring polynomials with symmetrical and alternating co efficients

(x-1)^2 = x^2 - 2x + 1
(x-1)^3 = x^3 - 3x^2 + 3x - 1
(x-1)^4 = x^4 - 4x^3 + 6x^2 - 4x + 1

Gib Z said:
Show [tex]x^4-3x^3+4x^2-3x+1 \geq 0[/tex] for all real x.

Dick's suggestion is the most straightforward for this one. Have you had the Rational Zeroes Theorem? One of the candidates from that technique works rather easily. From there, you'll be able to get all the zeroes. Factorization of this polynomial plus what multiplicity of zeroes does to the x-intercepts will tell you most of what you need to know.

The question gets easier as you go along. I'll do this completely as I want to show a way of 'dividing' polynomials that is much quicker.

So it is clear that x=1 is a root by calculation. Hence (x-1)f(x) is our desired polynomial where the degree of f(x) is strictly less than 4. It is clear that the coefficient on the third power must be 1 as (x-1)f(x) must yield a 4th degree polynomial. Similarly the constant term must be -1, as (x-1)f(x) must yield a polynomial with constant term 1.

So what is the coefficient for the second power? Suppose it was a, then coefficient of the third power of (x-1)f(x) will be (1)a+(-1)1=-3. So a=-2. So the coefficient for the first power becomes 2 by similar arguments.

So we have (x-1)(x^3-2x^2+2x-1). We can break up the latter product again knowing it has a root of 1. By the same arguments we get (x^3-2x^2+2x-1)=(x-1)(x^2-x+1).

Combining our equation is (x-1)^2(x^2-x+1) and completing the square gives (x-1)^2((x-1/2)^2+3/4) which is clearly nonnegative.

This technique was never taught to me at school. I don't know how many people catch on to this; it was just one of the things I've always done for fast computations.

ZioX said:
This technique was never taught to me at school. I don't know how many people catch on to this; it was just one of the things I've always done for fast computations.

Your method is just dividing one polynomial into another (i.e. divide (x-1) into the original polynomial). Instead of writing it down in the long division type way, you've just written it down in words, but it's basically exactly the same method.

I realize this. But the point is you can do it all in your head. Anyways, that's why I called it 'division'.

ZioX said:
Combining our equation is (x-1)^2(x^2-x+1) and completing the square gives (x-1)^2((x-1/2)^2+3/4) which is clearly nonnegative.

The completion of the square is really what cinches the proof. (And spares one the nuisance of having to show that x^2 - x >= -1 .)

Once again, though, we've been terribly nice and solved the problem. I wonder if the OP has even seen any of this yet...

The OP is a Homework Helper. I suspect he's just on vacation or something. I'm not worried about him.

Dick said:
The OP is a Homework Helper.

Sorry, I missed that... (I've seen threads where the helpers got a bit too enthusiastic, so I've been making an effort to restrain myself from saying too much -- unlike one of my regular jobs where I pretty much walk students through problems.)

You don't have to apologize. Jeez. I just thought it was funny.

Hey guys I'm not on Vacation, I just couldn't get on the computer yesterday because my mother had some relatives over. I think you guys did in fact go a little over the top in helping =], Dick's first post jolted my brain awake :) And it also reminded me of the "trick" that I was thinking of, though I remember it only works when there is an even number of terms. When the coefficients are symmetrical and alternating in signs, 1 will be a root because the polynomial will be reduced to the sum of its coefficients, which will be zero. That works in this case only after the first division by (x-1).

Anyway, Yes I reduced it to the perfect square and irreducible quadratic, Thank you guys very much =]

1. How do you prove a polynomial inequality?

To prove a polynomial inequality, you can use various methods such as substitution, factoring, or the intermediate value theorem. For this specific inequality, you can use factoring to show that all the roots of the polynomial are complex, meaning it has no real roots. This implies that the polynomial is always positive or always negative, and by analyzing the leading coefficient, you can determine which case it is.

2. What is the significance of the expression x^4-3x^3+4x^2-3x+1?

The expression x^4-3x^3+4x^2-3x+1 is a polynomial of degree 4. This means that it has the highest power of x as 4 and it is made up of terms that are multiplied by different powers of x. In this case, there are 5 terms, each with a different power of x. This polynomial inequality is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of the polynomial for all real values of x.

3. Can you use a graph to prove a polynomial inequality?

Yes, you can use a graph to prove a polynomial inequality, but it is not always the most efficient method. Graphing the polynomial can give you a visual representation of the behavior of the function, but it is not a formal proof. Additionally, for this specific inequality, since the degree of the polynomial is 4, the graph may not accurately show the behavior of the function for all real values of x.

4. Why is it important to prove this polynomial inequality for all real values of x?

It is important to prove this polynomial inequality for all real values of x because it allows us to understand the behavior of the function for any input. This is useful in various mathematical applications, such as optimization problems or finding the domain and range of a function. It also helps us make generalizations about the behavior of polynomials with higher degrees.

5. Is this polynomial inequality always true?

Yes, this polynomial inequality is always true for all real values of x. This is because, as mentioned before, the polynomial has no real roots, meaning it is either always positive or always negative. By analyzing the leading coefficient, we can determine that the polynomial is always positive, thus proving the inequality to be true.