A couple pretty easy integration problems im stuck on

In summary, to find the integral of 10/((x-1)(x^2+9)) dx and x^3/((x+1)^3) dx, we can use the method of partial fractions. For the first function, we break it down into 1/(x-1) and (x+1)/(x^2+9) and use the natural log and trig substitution to find the integral. For the second function, we do long division to get a remainder and use partial fractions to integrate each section. The final solutions are ln|x+1|-0.5ln|x^2+9|-1/3*tan^-1(x/3)+C and x+1-3ln|x
mathrocks
integral of 10/((x-1)(x^2+9)) dx

integral of x^3/((x+1)^3) dx

both these are under the partial fraction section, so using those methods would be helpful...

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The function 10/((x-1)(x^2+9) can be broken up into the partial fractions

1/(x-1) - (x+1)/(x^2+9)

The first one is simple (natural log of abs(denominator)). The second part is a bit more involved. I used trig substitution and worked through it. Use x=3*tan(theta).

When all is said there will most likely be more than one correct possible answer but the one I found is

ln(abs(x-1))-ln(Sqrt(x^2+9))-(1/3)*arctan(x/3) plus a constant.

For the second one the first thing I did was to do long division. This yielded

1- (3x^2+3x+1)/(x+1)^3

Next I worked out the partial fractions with the remainder that is left over from long division.

A/(x+1) + B/(x+1)^2 + c/(x+1)^3 = (3x^2+3x+1)/(x+1)^3

Some algebra (I like to equate the coefficients for this) yielded

A=3, B=-3 and C=1

Then do the integration on each section and you should get

x - 3*ln(abs(x+1)) - 3/(x+1) + 1/(2*(x+1)^2) plus a constant of course.
And if you take the derivative of this you will get back you integrand, which means you are correct.

Last edited:
I got... for the 1st one

ln|x+1|-0.5ln|x^2+9|-1/3*tan^-1(x/3)+C

2nd one...

x+1-3ln|x+1|-3/(x+1)-1/(2*(x+1)^2)+C

thats all I think...

I did substitution... and did u=x+1 and went from there for the 2nd one...

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

Why is integration important?

Integration is important because it allows us to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the amount of medicine needed for a patient.

How do you solve integration problems?

Integration problems can be solved by using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is important to identify the type of problem and choose the appropriate method to solve it.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in integration?

Common mistakes to avoid in integration include forgetting to add the constant of integration, mixing up the order of operations, and making mistakes in algebraic simplification.

Can integration be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, integration has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is a fundamental concept that is used to model and solve problems in these fields.