Basic question on right hand slap rule and electric motor

In summary, the electric motor reverses the current in the loop after 180 degrees to ensure constant movement in one direction, allowing for practical applications such as producing linear motion. Without this reversal, the motor would only be useful for rocking cradles. The right hand slap rule is used to determine the magnetic field experienced by the current in the loop, not the magnetic field it produces. This is necessary for understanding how the motor operates and its practical uses.
sameeralord
Hello guys,

First of all I have small question with the electric motor. I just learned today in class that with electric motor loops the current is reversed in the loop after 180 degrees to continue a constant movement in one direction. But my question is why is this nessecary. If we don't have this the loop would spin back and forth. Isn't this a change in magnetic flux. So why do we have to have constant one direction rotation. Other quetsion is simply about right hand slap rule. We use the magnitic field experienced by the current in this rule don't we. I mean let's say they gave us the current. We don't then have to work out the magnetic field by the right hand grip rule and then use right hand palm rule. I'm assuming this magnetic field we work out from right hand rule is not experience by the current so we don't use that in the rule. We use the magnetic field it experiences. For example when it is inside a magnet. I hope you understood what I was saying. Anyhelp as always would be much appreciated:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
producing linear motion

sameeralord said:
Hello guys,

First of all I have small question with the electric motor. I just learned today in class that with electric motor loops the current is reversed in the loop after 180 degrees to continue a constant movement in one direction. But my question is why is this nessecary. If we don't have this the loop would spin back and forth. Isn't this a change in magnetic flux. So why do we have to have constant one direction rotation.

Hi sameeralord! :smile:

Yes, I suppose the motor would work ok without the reversal …

but it wouldn't have a useful output.

If the motor turns the same way all the time, you can join it to a turbine or a wheel, and produce linear motion. :smile:

If the motor keeps reversing direction, all it can be used for is rocking cradles etcetera. :frown:

tiny-tim said:
Hi sameeralord! :smile:

Yes, I suppose the motor would work ok without the reversal …

but it wouldn't have a useful output.

If the motor turns the same way all the time, you can join it to a turbine or a wheel, and produce linear motion. :smile:

If the motor keeps reversing direction, all it can be used for is rocking cradles etcetera. :frown:

So it is for practical purposes. Thanks a lot for your help :smile:.

If the motor keeps reversing direction, all it can be used for is rocking cradles etcetera.

lol good one:rofl:

What is the right hand slap rule?

The right hand slap rule is a method used to determine the direction of the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. It states that if you extend your right hand with your thumb, index finger, and middle finger perpendicular to each other, with the index finger in the direction of the magnetic field and the middle finger in the direction of the current, then the thumb will point in the direction of the force on the wire.

How is the right hand slap rule related to electric motors?

The right hand slap rule is used in electric motors to determine the direction of the force on the wire that is carrying the current. This force is what causes the wire to move and ultimately results in the rotation of the motor.

What are the basic components of an electric motor?

The basic components of an electric motor include a stator (stationary part), a rotor (rotating part), a commutator (which helps switch the direction of the current), and brushes (which maintain contact with the commutator to provide a constant flow of electricity).

How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by using the interaction between a magnetic field and an electric current. When an electric current is passed through a wire in a magnetic field, a force is exerted on the wire, causing it to move. In an electric motor, this force is used to rotate the rotor, which in turn drives the motor.

What are some real-life applications of electric motors?

Electric motors have a wide range of applications in our daily lives, including powering household appliances, such as washing machines and refrigerators, as well as industrial machinery, such as conveyor belts and pumps. They are also used in transportation, such as in electric cars and trains, and in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines.