Typical light levels at Mars's surface

In summary, the light levels on the Martian surface vary depending on the time of day and the amount of dust in the atmosphere.
PolarPenguin
Hi there!

Does anyone here know what the typical light levels are at the Martian surface (in daylight hours!) and how they vary in magnitude through time? I'd prefer a measurement close to the equator, but I'd be happy with one from anywhere at the surface.

I can easily calculate the solar irradiance and hence determine the light levels outside the atmosphere, but due to dust loading in the atmosphere that would be an approximation which does not hold at the surface. I am aware that the Mars 3 lander measured light levels of 50 lux (see: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/0019103573901206 ) at the surface in 1971, and that that was suspected to be during a dust storm. I am also aware that the dust storms of July 2007 "blocked 99 percent of direct sunlight to [Opportunity]" (http://marsrover.nasa.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/20070720a.html ) but neither of these give me a measure of the typical light intensity/level there on a day-to-day basis in a location with no dust storm activity at that time.

Any ideas or measurements/references? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't find the map any more (might have been lost over the years) but the atmosphere doesn't absorb much on average - average surface levels are very close to the levels above the atmosphere, and similar to many spots on Earth where clouds lower the average a lot. There are periods where surface levels drop by a factor 10 or so (and direct light drops even more) however, relying on solar power alone is not a good idea.

PolarPenguin said:
Any ideas or measurements/references?
1989 study for NASA[
Worth a read.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890018252.pdf
Might as well throw this one in from 1976
https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/22925/0000491.pdf?sequence=1
... the 1971 dust storm. Their calculations indicate that the solar radiation absorbed
by wind-blown dust was enough to increase the lower atmosphere temperature
by 25°K day-L The Mariner 9 infrared spectrometer experiment (Hand et al.,
1972) and the radio occultation experiment (Kliore et al., 1972) show that the temperature
of the atmosphere was raised about 50°K during the storm, and that the
temperature profiles became almost isothermal.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the average light level at Mars's surface?

The average light level at Mars's surface is approximately 590 W/m^2. This is significantly lower than Earth's average light level, which is around 1000 W/m^2.

2. How does the light level at Mars's surface compare to Earth's?

As mentioned, the light level at Mars's surface is lower than Earth's. This is due to a combination of factors, including Mars's distance from the sun and its thin atmosphere which does not provide as much protection from the sun's rays.

3. Does the light level at Mars's surface vary throughout the day?

Yes, the light level at Mars's surface does vary throughout the day. This is due to Mars's rotation, which causes periods of daylight and darkness similar to Earth's day/night cycle.

4. How does the light level at Mars's surface affect plant growth?

The lower light levels at Mars's surface would likely have a negative impact on plant growth. Plants require a certain level of light for photosynthesis to occur, and the lower light levels on Mars may not be sufficient for optimal growth.

5. Are there any areas on Mars's surface with higher light levels?

Yes, there are some areas on Mars's surface that may have higher light levels, such as near the equator where the sun's rays are more direct. These areas may also have more consistent light levels throughout the day, as opposed to areas closer to the poles where there may be longer periods of darkness.