Urban Stargazing in Orange County - Is it Possible?

• Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stargazing
In summary, there is not much you can do to see the stars without driving out of town or getting a telescope.
Ki Man
I live in Southern California, right in heart of Orange County and within walking distance of Disneyland and when I look up at the night sky, on a cloudless day I will only be able to make out at first glance less than a dozen stars (I just tested it by walking outside, 4 noticeable stars at 9p.m.) It is impossible to make out the constellations. After my dad acquired a telescope I thought it would get easier, but the only thing that i have been able to find is the moon. Everything else just seems like arbitrary stars, even with the use of astronomic charts i still can't tell anything apart.

Is there anything I can do to really stargaze?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Get out of town? :biggrin:
But seriously, I don't think you will be able to make any progress on seeing any Stars without telling everyone in your city to turn off their lights... What you need to do is go to somewhere out in the country, take a relatively short road trip to a place with less light usage. There you can see the stars so much easier. Either that, or you should go to a really elevated place. Either way works.

there aren't any real ways of getting elevation around here where most buildings are no taller than 2 stories (you can thank earthquakes for that) and I doubt my parents would drive me out to the countryside just to look at the sky (2 more years and this won't be a problem, but gas prices probably will be)

Even I sometimes drive a couple hours away to stargaze, and my telescope weighs 160 lb!

where do you live?

Russ is in the Philidelphia area. I was back there in 1986 when Halleys comet was supposed to be visible, needless to say I could not see it.

Keep trying, a reduced number of stars is not always a bad thing. This means that the stars you can see are the bright ones. You should be able to find the Summer triangle. Perhaps you could make a trip over to Long Beach, this will give you a good western horizon, different times of the year will give you different stars/constelations. Get a good Naked eye astronomy book and keep looking up.

Good luck.

1. Is light pollution a significant issue for urban stargazing in Orange County?

Yes, light pollution can make it difficult to view stars in urban areas. Orange County is known for its bright city lights, which can hinder stargazing opportunities. However, there are some areas in the county, such as parks and nature reserves, that may have darker skies and better stargazing conditions.

2. What time of year is best for stargazing in Orange County?

The best time for stargazing in Orange County is during the winter months, from December to February. This is when the skies are typically clearest and there is less light pollution due to shorter days and cooler weather.

3. Are there any stargazing events or organizations in Orange County?

Yes, there are several stargazing events and organizations in Orange County. The Orange County Astronomers and the Southern California Astronomy Enthusiasts are two popular groups that host regular stargazing events and provide resources for amateur astronomers. There are also occasional stargazing events at local parks and nature centers.

4. Can I see any specific celestial objects from Orange County?

Yes, there are a variety of celestial objects that can be seen from Orange County. Some of the most commonly viewed objects include the Moon, planets like Venus and Mars, and bright stars such as Sirius and Vega. With the right equipment and conditions, it is also possible to see some deep space objects like galaxies and nebulae.

5. What equipment do I need for urban stargazing in Orange County?

A good pair of binoculars or a small telescope can greatly enhance your stargazing experience in Orange County. It is also recommended to bring a star chart or a stargazing app to help you identify and locate celestial objects. Additionally, a comfortable chair, warm clothes, and bug spray can make your stargazing adventure more enjoyable.