Looking for a math book as a gift for my math teacher

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good book for a teacher. The person is looking for a non-textbook, enjoyable read and has had the teacher for the past 2 years in high school. Suggestions for books include "What is Mathematics" by Richard Courant, "Chaos" by James Gleick, "An Imaginary Tale" by Paul Nahin, anything by Simon Singh, and "Divine Proportions" by Wildberger. Other suggestions include "The Code Book" or "Fermat's Enigma" by Simon Singh and "Counting Rabbits" by Ball.
renob
I'm looking for a good book for my teacher. Not a textbook or anything, just a good read.

I've had her for the past 2 years in high school.

Physics news on Phys.org
renob said:
I'm looking for a good book for my teacher. Not a textbook or anything, just a good read.

I've had her for the past 2 years in high school.

What are you trying to do suck up to her or something?

nah dude

What is Mathematics, by Richard Courant.

naele said:
What is Mathematics, by Richard Courant.

ooohhh that's a good one

I happen to like "Chaos" by James Gleick, though she may already have a copy of that. I read the book, gave my copy to a really smart young lady who attended our astronomy club, later bought another copy for myself, re-read it, and ended up giving that copy away to yet another kid. It's well-written and entertaining.

My first choice would be An imaginary tale by Paul Nahin. Really interesting history there. Most of us secondary school teachers don't realize that [itex]i[/itex] became accepted in its role solving cubic equations, not quadratic ones. Even though that's not how we teach it today.

Alternatively, consider anything by Simon Singh. Such as The Code Book or Fermat's Enigma.

Finally, although this is probably too expensive a gift, Divine Proportions by Wildberger. In a perfect world, all high school teachers would have this book.

Counting Rabbits by Ball

1. What are some good math books to gift to a math teacher?

Some popular math books that make great gifts for math teachers include "A Mathematician's Apology" by G.H. Hardy, "Fermat's Enigma" by Simon Singh, "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" by Paul Hoffman, "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" by Timothy Gowers, and "The Joy of X" by Steven Strogatz.

2. Are there any specific topics or levels of difficulty I should look for in a math book for a teacher?

This ultimately depends on the preferences and expertise of your math teacher. Some may enjoy books that cover advanced topics in their field, while others may appreciate a book that explores a more accessible topic in a creative and engaging way. It's always a good idea to do some research on your teacher's interests and teaching style before selecting a book as a gift.

3. Can I find a math book that is both informative and entertaining?

Absolutely! There are many math books that strike a balance between being informative and entertaining. Look for books that incorporate real-life examples, storytelling, or humor to make the subject more engaging. You can also check out reviews or ask for recommendations from other math teachers or book lovers.

4. Is there a specific format or edition I should choose for a math book gift?

This can depend on your budget and personal preference. Hardcover editions tend to be more durable and have a more professional appearance, while paperback editions are often more affordable. If you know your teacher's reading habits, you can also consider getting them an e-book or audiobook version.

5. Are there any math books specifically written for teachers?

Yes, there are many books that are written specifically for math teachers, covering topics such as teaching strategies, classroom management, and lesson planning. Some popular titles include "Teach Like a Champion" by Doug Lemov, "Visible Learning for Mathematics" by John Hattie, and "Mathematical Mindsets" by Jo Boaler. These books can be great gifts for teachers looking to improve their teaching practice.