Find the Value of k for a Continuous Piecewise Function | Calculus Homework

• Thread starter fghtffyrdmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the problem the student is having is how to find the constant k in a function that approaches a value as x gets close to 2. The student tries rationalizing it, but doesn't get it perfect the first time. After simplifying, the x-2 cancels and the student is able to find the constant k.
fghtffyrdmns

Homework Statement

We started piecewise functions in calculus and I'm finding it rather difficult. This question has had me stumped for a while. I'm quite well at finding domain and range, however :).

For what value of k is the following a continuous function

Homework Equations

[tex]f(x)= \frac {x-2}{\sqrt {7x+2} -\sqrt{6x+4}} [/tex] [tex] if x \geq {\frac{-2}{7}}
and x \neq 2[/tex]
f(x) = k, if x=2

I hope this makes sense.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having is how I can find k - the constanst. I can't [tex]\frac {x-2}{\sqrt {7x+2} -\sqrt{6x+4}} = k [/tex] since k cannot equal to 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to cancel out or get rid of the denominator and rewrite the expression in a way where you don't get undefined when x=2. Try multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator.

Bohrok said:
You want to cancel out or get rid of the denominator and rewrite the expression in a way where you don't get undefined when x=2. Try multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator.

I was thinking of just rationalizing it. But what do I do with the k then?

If you graph f(x) on a graphing calculator, you would see that the graph clearly approaches a value as x gets close to 2. That is because when you plug x=2 into the function, you get 0/0 which usually, but not always, means that the function actually approaches a value as x gets close to the value that it can't be, the one that makes the function undefined. Once you find the value k that f(x) gets close to as x approaches 2, that will be the value to make the function continuous.

Think of x(x-1)/(x-1) which is undefined at x=1 and its graph has a "hole" there. If I do some canceling, I get just x. Then I can let x=1 and see that the graph of x(x-1)/(x-1), which coincides with the graph of x, gets close to 1 as x approaches 1, just like the graph of x when x gets close to 1.

So if I rationalize it, to remove the square roots, can I equate the 2? Then use x = -2/7?

I rationalized it:

[tex] \frac {x-2 \sqrt {7x+2} + x-2\sqrt{6x+4}}{x-2}[/tex][tex] \sqrt {7x+2} + x-2\sqrt{6x+4} = k [/tex]

Substituting x=2, I get k=4.

k isn't 4. After multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator and simplifying, the x-2 should cancel; looks like you didn't distribute correctly.

[tex]\frac{x - 2}{\sqrt{7x + 2} - \sqrt{6x + 4}} * \frac{\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4}}{\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4}} = \frac{(x - 2)(\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4})}{7x + 2 - (6x + 4)} = \frac{(x - 2)(\sqrt{7x + 2} + \sqrt{6x + 4})}{x - 2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Ohhh, you don't multiply the x-2 into the conjugate? I understand. I got the x-2 on both the top and bottom, but I multiplied through. I see what I did wrong, thank you.

1. What is a continuous piecewise function?

A continuous piecewise function is a function that is defined by different equations on different intervals or pieces of the function's domain. These pieces are then "glued" together to form a single function that is continuous, meaning that there are no breaks or jumps in the graph of the function.

2. How do I find the value of k for a continuous piecewise function?

To find the value of k for a continuous piecewise function, you need to set up and solve the equations for each piece of the function. This means finding the value of k that satisfies the given equation for each interval or piece of the function's domain. Once you have solved each equation, you can then plug in the values of k to create a continuous function.

3. Can a continuous piecewise function have more than one value of k?

Yes, a continuous piecewise function can have more than one value of k. This is because each piece of the function's domain may have a different equation with a different value of k. It is important to find the value of k that satisfies each piece of the function in order to create a continuous function.

4. Why is it important to find the value of k for a continuous piecewise function?

Finding the value of k for a continuous piecewise function is important because it ensures that the function is continuous, meaning that there are no breaks or jumps in the graph. This is necessary for accurately representing real-world situations and for solving calculus problems.

5. Are there any specific steps to follow when finding the value of k for a continuous piecewise function?

Yes, there are specific steps to follow when finding the value of k for a continuous piecewise function. These steps include setting up and solving the equations for each piece of the function, graphing the pieces of the function and checking for continuity, and finally plugging in the values of k to create a continuous function. It is also important to check for any restrictions on the domain when solving for k.