Could the gravity of a object be directly related to the density

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether the gravity of an object is directly related to its density and speed as it passes through the Higgs field. Some believe that the faster an object moves, the more energy it has and therefore the more mass it has, resulting in a stronger gravitational force. However, others argue that gravity is directly proportional to an object's mass and density does not affect it. There was also discussion about how general relativity does not fail at the event horizon of a black hole, but rather at the singularity. Some proposed the idea that gravity may not be one of the four fundamental forces, but rather a result of dense matter passing through the Higgs field. Ultimately, it was concluded that gravity is directly
millman
my son asked me a question that i can not find an answer too and i hope you can all help me :

could the gravity of a object be directly related to the density and speed of the object as it passes through the higs field ?

Physics news on Phys.org

millman said:
my son asked me a question that i can not find an answer too and i hope you can all help me :

could the gravity of a object be directly related to the density and speed of the object as it passes through the higs field ?

I would have thought that gravity is directly related to the density of an object.
As for the speed of an object, well some say the faster an object is moving the more energy it has which they then equate to an increase in mass and hence it will exert more gravity. I'm not a great fan of that idea. If the object is accelerating then that might be a different case, but just simply floating along with a uniform speed I can't see it.

According to everything I've studied, the gravitational force produced by an object is directly proportional to it's mass. But I will admit that I have not studied GR, which may have more to say.

Density<-- Change this to Mass I guess... And imo and probably only mine density/mass is just how much space it displaces.

Last edited:

I think that density is the wrong word to use here. Just changing an objects density will not change the force of it's gravitational field. If I have two objects with the same mass but different densities then they will both still produce the same gravitational force, as long as the distance does not fall below the radius of the larger object.

Right - what density affects is only how close you can get to the [center of] the object. If we're talking about the Earth orbiting the sun, the density of the sun is completely irrelevant. Someone asked the question just yesterday: If you replace the sun with a black hole of equal mass, what happen's to Earth's orbit? Answer: Nothing.

Well, except for the part where things get dark and start to get cold about 8 minutes later...

hahahah at least that's one thing we don't have to worry about :approve:

the one question that this has raised with my self is , as we currently stand einsteins theories fail at 2 points one being the event horrizon of a black hole the other the big bang.
what if gravity instead of being one of the 4 forces is in fact a result of dense matter passing through the higs field the denser the matter the greater the affect the greater the mass?

General relativity actually doesn't fail at the event horizon of a black hole. This is a pretty common misconception. Where GR fails is the singularity of a black hole, and similarly, any proposed singularity at the big bang.

Well many people have studied this, physicists and mathematicians and its shown that gravity is directly proportional to the mass, and density of an object doesn't affect it.
Stated in terms of Newtons theory of gravitation, which isn't a totally accurate description of what's going on but close enough for this.
Gravitational force exerted depends on the mass of the object attracting, the mass of the object being attracted and the distance between them.

1. How is an object's density related to its gravity?

An object's density is directly related to its gravity. This is because density measures the amount of mass an object has in a given volume. And according to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. Therefore, the denser an object is, the more mass it has and the stronger its gravitational force.

2. Can an object with a lower density have a higher gravity than an object with a higher density?

No, an object with a lower density cannot have a higher gravity than an object with a higher density. As mentioned before, density and gravity are directly related. So, the denser an object is, the stronger its gravitational force will be.

3. Is there a limit to how dense an object can be?

Yes, there is a limit to how dense an object can be. According to the theory of general relativity, there is a maximum density that an object can reach before it collapses into a black hole. This limit is known as the Chandrasekhar limit and is approximately 2.9 x 10^17 kilograms per cubic meter.

4. Does an object's shape affect its density and gravity?

Yes, an object's shape can affect its density and gravity. For example, a sphere and a cube of the same mass and material will have different densities because of their different shapes. However, their gravitational forces will still be the same as long as their masses are equal.

5. Can an object's density change over time and affect its gravity?

Yes, an object's density can change over time and affect its gravity. This is because density is not a constant property and can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and composition. As density changes, so does the object's mass, and therefore, its gravitational force will also change.