Interacting Spins , Heisenberg Hamiltonian , Tensor product

In summary, the conversation discusses the Heisenberg Model and its application in calculating the Hamiltonian for two interacting electrons. The Hamiltonian is represented by a matrix and involves the tensor product of the spin vector operators. The conversation also touches upon the method of diagonalizing the Hamiltonian and finding its eigenvalues. Finally, the conversation briefly mentions the construction of the Hamiltonian for three spins.
Phileas.Fogg
Hello,
I'm studying the Heisenberg Model. Given the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = - 2 \frac{J}{\hbar^2} \vec{S}_1 \vec{S}_2[/tex]

with

[tex] \begin{equation} \vec{S} = \frac{\hbar}{2} \; \left( \begin{array}{ccc} \sigma_x \\ \sigma_y \\ \sigma_z \end{array} \right) \end{equation} [/tex]

[tex] \sigma_{x,y,z} \quad {\text are \; the \; Pauli \; Matrices} [/tex]

Supposed, there are two electrons interacting antiferromagnetically.
So I have a spin-spin interaction. The first is up and the second spin is down.

The texts says that this results in the following Hamiltonian:

[tex] \begin{equation} H = - J \; \left(\begin{array}{cccc}
0,5 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & -0,5 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 & -0,5 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0,5 \end{array} \right) \end{equation} [/tex]

I know it has something to do with the tensor product of both spin vector operators.
I tried to calculate by myself, but didn't get the correct result.

Could anyone explain, how this works?!

Thanks.

Regards,
Phileas

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't made it very clear what goes wrong when you try to derive this.

You need to expand the dot product first (in your orginal hamiltonian you haven't included a dot product):
[tex]
H = J(\sigma_x\otimes\sigma_x + \sigma_y\otimes\sigma_y + \sigma_z\otimes\sigma_z)
[/tex]
If you have Matlab, the kron function does the direct products exactly as required.
Did you get that far?

Perhaps the issue is appreciating that [tex]S_1^x[/tex] (a 4x4 matrix) is not the same as [tex]\sigma_x[/tex] (a 2x2 matrix) ?

Maybe question 3 of 'Some questions on spin' and solutions here might help:
http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/PeterConlon/teaching.shtml
And if you have Matlab/Octave, here also:
http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/PeterConlon/notes/spin.m

Thanks peteratcam,
I used the wrong expansion before, so I've the correct result now.

How can J look like in this case? I think, it must be a 4x4 Matrix, right?
Is the product of matrix J and the spin-spin-coupling matrix (I call it A) a tensor product, or just a normal matrix multiplication?
[tex]
\begin{equation}A = \left(\begin{array}{cccc}
0,5 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & -0,5 & -1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 & -0,5 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0,5 \end{array} \right) \end{equation} [/tex]

Finally, I have to diagonalize the resulting Hamiltonian matrix, right? I do this, because then I find the eigenvalues on the diagonal of the matrix? Or, does it have to do something with numerics?

Regards,
Phileas

J is not an operator/matrix, it is just a number, the strength of the coupling. (If you really want, you could think of it as proportional to the identity operator, but this doesn't really get you anything.)

In an anisotropic model, you might have separate J_x, J_y, J_z, but then H would look like:
[tex]
H = J_x \sigma_x\otimes\sigma_x + J_y \sigma_y\otimes\sigma_y +\ldots
[/tex]
The J are still just parameters which are numbers.

The products of operators which appear in a hamiltonian are always matrix products. The direct product comes into construct the appropriate operators which act on composite systems.

For example, the operator for the x-component of the first spin when the composite system is two spin-1/2 systems is:
[tex]S^{(1)}_x = \sigma_x\otimes \mathbf 1[/tex]
and for the second spin
[tex]S^{(2)}_x = \mathbf 1\otimes \sigma_x[/tex]
You can then show that the matrix product [tex]S^{(1)}_xS^{(2)}_x[/tex] is the same as the direct product [tex]\sigma_x\otimes\sigma_x[/tex].

This all assumes that the basis for the composite system is constructed in the obvious way from the basis you use for the single particle systems.

Do you want to diagonalise the Hamiltonian? I don't know, depends what you want to do. If you do, you will notice that the eigenvectors are the singlet and triplet states.

Okay, thanks.

I found an article, where the author says:

[tex] J_{i,j} [/tex] is a symmetric matrix containing the exchange parameters between spins at sites i and j.

How does the spin vector operator look like, for Ions with spin e.g. 3/2 or 5/2 ?

Regards,
Phileas

Last edited:
Hi there,

I need to solve the problem for 3 spins (find the Hamiltonian), and I am really not certain about how to construct it.
It is meant to be a 8x8 matrix, and is defined as H=〖J(S〗_1 S_2+S_2 S_3+S_3 S_1).

Any help or hint would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- lemma

1. What are interacting spins?

Interacting spins refer to the phenomenon in which the magnetic moments of particles, such as electrons, interact with each other. This interaction is described by the Heisenberg Hamiltonian, which takes into account the spin of each particle and the interaction between them.

2. What is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a mathematical model that describes the interactions between particles with magnetic moments, such as electrons. It takes into account the spin of each particle and the strength of the interaction between them.

3. How does the Heisenberg Hamiltonian relate to quantum mechanics?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics, as it describes the behavior of particles with spin. It is used to understand the properties of materials and how they respond to external magnetic fields.

4. What is the tensor product in the context of interacting spins?

The tensor product is a mathematical operation used to combine two or more quantum systems, such as interacting spins. In the context of interacting spins, the tensor product is used to describe the combined state of multiple particles with spin, taking into account their individual spin states and interactions.

5. How is the Heisenberg Hamiltonian applied in research and technology?

The Heisenberg Hamiltonian is used in various areas of research, such as condensed matter physics and materials science, to understand the properties of materials at the atomic and molecular level. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as magnetic storage devices and quantum computing.