Closure of Sets Proof Homework | Equations & Solution Attempt

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to approach a homework problem and has tried three different methods and is still unsure. He has attempted to solve the problem but is having difficulty. He has also explained how the closure of the intersection of two intervals is bigger than the two intervals themselves.
mynameisfunk

Homework Statement

See attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how I should approach this first off. I have tried this 3 ways but I always decide they don't work. Click on the other attachment to see my work, It's only the first part of the first one, but I would just like to know if it works.

Attachments

• HW3Q1.jpg
    HW3Q1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG00090-20100910-1056.jpg
    IMG00090-20100910-1056.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks ok so far, but you might want to elaborate on why if x_i is in A or B for all i, then the limit point x is either a limit point of A or a limit point of B. And you might want to be a little more careful about notation. {x_i} can mean either the whole sequence or it could be a singleton set consisting of the single element x_i. If x_i is an element of A, then {x_i} isn't necessarily an element of A, it's a subset of A. The second half of the proof should be even easier.

If you are trying to prove the closure of the intersection is the intersection of the closures, then stop. It's false. Look for a counterexample.

OK thanks, I am working on the second one now...
How do I know if (A[tex]\cap[/tex]B) [tex]\cap[/tex] (A[tex]\cap[/tex]B)' is empty?
I am assuming this must be the case in order for the two not to be equal to each other..
It seems like they don't necessarily have to be since a limit of some {x_i} in A can be in B and vice versa? It seems like it is true to me..

mynameisfunk said:
OK thanks, I am working on the second one now...
How do I know if (A[tex]\cap[/tex]B) [tex]\cap[/tex] (A[tex]\cap[/tex]B)' is empty?
I am assuming this must be the case in order for the two not to be equal to each other..
It seems like they don't necessarily have to be since a limit of some {x_i} in A can be in B and vice versa? It seems like it is true to me..

You might be thinking too hard. Think about two open intervals on the real line. The closures are 'bigger' than the intervals. The closures might intersect even though the intervals don't.

Thanks tons, Dick.

1. What is the definition of closure of sets?

The closure of a set A, denoted by A̅, is the smallest closed set that contains all the elements of A. In other words, A̅ is the intersection of all closed sets that contain A.

2. How is the closure of a set calculated?

The closure of a set A can be calculated using the closure operator, denoted by cl(A). This operator takes the set A as its input and returns the closure of A, A̅.

3. What is the relationship between closure and limit points?

Closure and limit points are closely related concepts. The closure of a set A contains all the limit points of A, and the limit points of A are a subset of the closure of A. In other words, the closure of A is the union of A and its limit points.

4. How is closure used in mathematical proofs?

Closure is a fundamental concept in topology and is used in various mathematical proofs, particularly in the fields of functional analysis and measure theory. It is used to prove the existence of certain objects, such as closed sets, and to show the convergence of sequences and series.

5. Can you give an example of a closure of a set?

Yes, the closure of the set (1,2) in the real numbers is [1,2], which includes all the elements in the set as well as its boundary points. Another example is the closure of the set {1,2,3} in the discrete topology, which is {1,2,3} as it already contains all its limit points.