Calculating % Yield of NaN3 Experiment

In summary, the % yield of the experiment is not possible to determine from the given information. The balanced equation is 2NaN3 → 2Na + 3N2 and the conversion of 21g of nitrogen to moles is incorrect as it should be 2.25 mol N2 instead of 2.25 mol N2. However, this information is not necessary to calculate the % yield.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

Use the unbalanced equation NaN3 → Na + N2 to answer the following question(s).
The % yield of an experiment in which two moles NaN3 was used and 21 g nitrogen was isolated is ________.

Homework Equations

percent yield=({actual yield}/{theoretical yield})100%

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I balanced:

2NaN3 → 2Na + 3N2

And I convert my known mass to moles:

[tex]21g of N_{2}* \frac{3 mol N_{2}}{28 g N_{2}}=2.25 mol N_{2}[/tex]

...and that's where I'm stuck. I'm preparing for a comprehensive final exam, and it seems I have forgotten this piece from the beginning of the semester.

Edit:The LATEX ref is failing for some reason. it is 21g(3mol/28g)=2.25 mol

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX is OK, you were probably seeing cached image. That is a known problem.

What should be mass of nitrogen produced from 2 moles of NaN3?

Not to step on Borek's toes, or anything... And maybe I forgot something, but 21g(N2) does not equal 2.25mol(N2). There are 28.02g in one mol of nitrogen gas. Three mols N2 = 42.03g. N=14.01g/mol.

You are right. I have ignored it completely as it is irrelevant to the question, my fault.

Great job balancing the equation and converting the known mass to moles! Now, to calculate the percent yield, we need to compare the actual yield (in moles) to the theoretical yield (also in moles). The theoretical yield is the amount of product that should have been produced according to the balanced equation.

In this case, we know that 2 moles of NaN3 were used in the experiment. From the balanced equation, we can see that for every 2 moles of NaN3, we should get 3 moles of N2. So the theoretical yield of N2 would be 3 moles.

Now, we can use the equation for percent yield to calculate the percentage:

% yield = (actual yield/theoretical yield) * 100%
% yield = (2.25 mol/3 mol) * 100%
% yield = 75%

So the percent yield of the experiment is 75%. This means that only 75% of the expected amount of N2 was produced. There could be a variety of reasons for this, such as incomplete reactions or loss of product during the experiment. It is important to always strive for a high percent yield in experiments, as it indicates the efficiency and accuracy of the procedure.

1. What is the purpose of calculating % yield in the NaN3 experiment?

The purpose of calculating % yield in the NaN3 experiment is to determine the efficiency of the reaction and how much product was obtained compared to the predicted amount. It also helps to identify any potential sources of error in the experimental procedure.

2. How do you calculate % yield in the NaN3 experiment?

To calculate % yield in the NaN3 experiment, you need to divide the actual yield (the amount of product obtained in the experiment) by the theoretical yield (the amount of product predicted based on stoichiometry) and then multiply by 100.

3. What factors can affect the % yield in the NaN3 experiment?

The % yield in the NaN3 experiment can be affected by various factors such as the purity of the reactants, experimental errors, incomplete reactions, and side reactions. Temperature, pressure, and the concentration of reactants can also have an impact on the yield.

4. What does a high or low % yield in the NaN3 experiment indicate?

A high % yield in the NaN3 experiment indicates that the reaction was efficient and that the experimental procedure was successful. A low % yield, on the other hand, can indicate errors in the procedure or the presence of impurities in the reactants.

5. What are some ways to improve the % yield in the NaN3 experiment?

To improve the % yield in the NaN3 experiment, you can ensure the purity of the reactants, use precise measurements and techniques, and optimize reaction conditions such as temperature, pressure, and reactant concentration. It is also important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and identify potential sources of error to minimize their impact on the yield.