Static pressure in Compressor, Burner, Turbine

In summary, to calculate the static pressure in the compressor, burner, and turbine, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is equal to the product of density, temperature, and the universal gas constant. To calculate the density, you will need to use the Mach number, speed of sound, and velocity to calculate the stagnation temperature, and then use the mass flow rate to find the density. Once you have the density, you can use the ideal gas law to calculate the static pressure at each station.
roldy
I posted a question about this a couple days ago but I have since solved for the total temperatures in the compressor, burner, and turbine.

My question is this. How do I calculate the static pressure in the compressor, burner, and turbine when i know the following data at each station?

Known:
Mach #
Static Temperature
Total Pressure
Static Temperature
speed of sound
velocity
mass flow rate

I need to know the static temperature so I can calculate the density, which then leads to calculating the area.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have been trying to look up equations but I am a bit lost on this. Any help would be appreciated. The equation you're looking for is the ideal gas law. The ideal gas law states that the pressure is equal to the product of the density, the temperature, and the universal gas constant. Mathematically, it looks like this: P = ρ*T*Rwhere P is the pressure, ρ is the density, T is the temperature, and R is the universal gas constant. In order to calculate the static pressure at each station, you need to first calculate the density. To do this, you will need to use the Mach number, speed of sound, and velocity to calculate the stagnation temperature, which is equal to the sum of the static temperature and the square of the Mach number multiplied by the speed of sound. Once you have the stagnation temperature, you can use the mass flow rate to calculate the density. Once you have the density, you can then use the ideal gas law to calculate the static pressure at each station.

1. What is static pressure in a compressor?

Static pressure in a compressor refers to the pressure of a fluid (such as air) as it enters and exits the compressor. It is measured when the fluid is not in motion, hence the term "static". In a compressor, static pressure increases as the fluid is compressed, leading to an increase in temperature and density.

2. How does static pressure affect the performance of a burner?

Static pressure plays a crucial role in the performance of a burner. It determines the amount of air that is delivered to the burner for combustion. If the static pressure is too low, there will be insufficient oxygen for combustion, resulting in incomplete combustion and a decrease in burner efficiency. On the other hand, if the static pressure is too high, it can cause turbulence and disrupt the fuel-air mixture, also leading to reduced efficiency.

3. What is the relationship between static pressure and turbine efficiency?

In a turbine, the static pressure at the inlet is higher than at the outlet. This pressure difference causes the fluid to move through the turbine blades, resulting in the conversion of pressure energy into kinetic energy, which in turn drives the turbine. Therefore, as static pressure decreases, the efficiency of the turbine increases, as more energy is converted into mechanical work.

4. How is static pressure measured in a compressor, burner, and turbine?

In a compressor and turbine, static pressure can be measured using a pitot tube, which has one open end to sense the static pressure and another end facing the fluid flow to measure the total pressure. The difference between these two pressures is the dynamic pressure, which can be used to calculate the static pressure using Bernoulli's equation. In a burner, static pressure is typically measured using a pressure tap connected to a pressure gauge.

5. Can static pressure be controlled in a compressor, burner, and turbine?

Yes, static pressure can be controlled in all three components. In a compressor, the inlet guide vanes can be adjusted to regulate the amount of air being compressed, thereby controlling the static pressure. In a burner, the amount of air can be adjusted using dampers to control the static pressure. And in a turbine, the static pressure can be controlled by adjusting the nozzle guide vanes, which regulate the flow of air through the turbine.