Is it possible for a person to have two minds?

• Thread starter itachigaraa
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for a person to have two minds, but it is not possible for two minds to exist.
itachigaraa
Two minds?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose someone with multiple personality disorder (dissociative identity disorder) has multiple points of view on reality, and since one personality isn't aware of the cognitive processes of the others, I suppose they would be like separate minds.

itachigaraa said:

Look up commisurotomy patients, those who have had their corpus collosum severed surgically.

itachigaraa said:

If I say YES!
Can you anybody prove or disprove it?

(How one can make love with two or more without more minds ;) )

Don't expect any empirical data to prove two minds are possible.

Two personalities perhaps. Two minds -- never.

One must first understand what a mind is, and whether it exists, to understand whether two minds are possible.

I do have multiple sets of thoughts at any particular instance.

what is the definition of mind?
is it in the brain?
if it's in the brain, what will happen when one has a brain transplant?

too much on my mind..i'm going insane!

False Prophet said:
I suppose someone with multiple personality disorder (dissociative identity disorder) has multiple points of view on reality, and since one personality isn't aware of the cognitive processes of the others, I suppose they would be like separate minds.

Are you certain they are COMPLETELY unaware of the cognitive processes of each other?

Thanks, Babsyco.

When you're deciding on something but don't know what to pick, people do tend to say you're in two minds.

Whether this has anything to do with your question and whether or not it can be helpful, I don't know but it's all that came to mind, no pun intended.

well I'm currently working at a psychiatric hospital and i can tell there are a lot of minds there!

Well these patients have conversations, fights and whatever with themselves.
I would call this having two minds, but at the same time I see it as one mind.
Maybe sub-minds in one larger mind is the way to go then.

But then again where does the line get crossed to actually have two separate minds? hmm this seems like only a literal defining thing...

1. Can a person really have two separate minds?

While it may seem like a confusing concept, there is evidence that suggests a person can have two separate minds. This is known as dissociative identity disorder (DID) or multiple personality disorder (MPD). It is a rare and complex psychological condition where a person has at least two distinct and separate identities or personality states.

2. How does a person develop two minds?

The development of two minds, or DID, is believed to be a coping mechanism for individuals who have experienced severe trauma, typically in childhood. The mind creates separate identities as a way to protect itself from overwhelming emotions and memories. However, the exact cause of DID is still not fully understood and is a topic of ongoing research.

3. Can the two minds communicate with each other?

Yes, the identities of a person with DID can communicate with each other. This communication can occur through thoughts, feelings, or even through actions. However, the level of communication can vary greatly between individuals and their specific experiences with DID.

4. Can one mind be aware of the other mind's thoughts and actions?

In most cases, the identities of a person with DID are not aware of each other's thoughts and actions. This lack of awareness is a key characteristic of the disorder. However, there can be instances where identities may have shared memories or knowledge, leading to a sense of co-consciousness.

5. Is it possible for a person with two minds to integrate into one mind?

While it is possible for a person with DID to integrate their identities into one mind, it is a complex and lengthy process that requires therapy and support. Integration is not always the goal for individuals with DID as it can also cause distress and confusion. Ultimately, the treatment and goals for a person with DID should be determined by them and their therapist.