Shear Modulus of jiggling jello

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between lime and orange jello and which one has a higher shear modulus. Through analyzing the jiggling motion and applying Hook's Law, it is concluded that lime jello has a higher shear modulus than orange jello. The relationship between the shear modulus and stiffness in shear is also discussed.
Bob Loblaw

Homework Statement

A student bumps into a tray of jello. The lime jello is jiggling side to side faster than the orange jello. Both jellos have the same spatial dimensions. Which statement is true?

Answer: Lime jello has a higher shear modulus than orange jello

Homework Equations

Shear modulus: (F/A)/(X displacement/initial length)
Hook's Law: angular frequency=sqrt(k/M)

The Attempt at a Solution

The only difference between the jello is the lime jello jiggles more and this has a higher x displacement. this increases the denominator and makes the shear modulus seem *smaller* to me. Then upon looking at Hook's law, I see that higher angular frequency must be due to a higher K since M in both jellos are equal. Stiffer spring means higher shear modulus, right? How can I reconcile these seemingly contradictory statements!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bob Loblaw said:

Homework Statement

A student bumps into a tray of jello. The lime jello is jiggling side to side faster than the orange jello. Both jellos have the same spatial dimensions. Which statement is true?

Answer: Lime jello has a higher shear modulus than orange jello

Homework Equations

Shear modulus: (F/A)/(X displacement/initial length)
Hook's Law: angular frequency=sqrt(k/M)

The Attempt at a Solution

The only difference between the jello is the lime jello jiggles more and this has a higher x displacement. this increases the denominator and makes the shear modulus seem *smaller* to me.
the lime jello does not displace more...it is given that the lime jello jiggles faster.
Then upon looking at Hook's law, I see that higher angular frequency must be due to a higher K since M in both jellos are equal. Stiffer spring means higher shear modulus, right?
yes, correct
How can I reconcile these seemingly contradictory statements!
They do not contradict.

Thanks! I guess I was seeing 'jiggling' as more lateral movement.

Sorry to bump up an old homework problem, but I was wondering what k is in terms of the shear modulus in a problem like this. If you could assume the Jello here is a cube of elastic material, and that the jello's motion was planar, would this be the relation between k and shear modulus (G):

k = G*J/L

where L is the height of the cube and J is the polar moment of inertia of the cube?
Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I guess it would be k = G*A/L where A is the cross sectional area of the jello as seen from the top. I think it would be A instead of J because the jello isn't rotating around an axis. Is that right?

Last edited:
jobu said:
Sorry to bump up an old homework problem, but I was wondering what k is in terms of the shear modulus in a problem like this. If you could assume the Jello here is a cube of elastic material, and that the jello's motion was planar, would this be the relation between k and shear modulus (G):

k = G*J/L

where L is the height of the cube and J is the polar moment of inertia of the cube?
Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I guess it would be k = G*A/L where A is the cross sectional area of the jello as seen from the top. I think it would be A instead of J because the jello isn't rotating around an axis. Is that right?
Your edited remarks are correct. The constant k would be a measure of the stiffness of the material in shear, where k = F/Δx, and Δx is the transverse displacement of the cube in the direction of the shear force F. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_modulus

Thanks for the reply, Jay! Is there an expiration date on thanks? Something like "Best if thanked within 2 weeks of answer"? If so, sorry for the staleness :-D

jobu said:
Thanks for the reply, Jay! Is there an expiration date on thanks? Something like "Best if thanked within 2 weeks of answer"? If so, sorry for the staleness :-D
Thank you's are accepted anytime. You're welcome.:smile:

1. What is shear modulus?

Shear modulus, also known as the modulus of rigidity, is a measure of a material's resistance to deformation when a force is applied parallel to its surface.

2. How is shear modulus measured?

Shear modulus is typically measured by subjecting a material to a shear stress and measuring the resulting deformation. This can be done using various testing methods, such as torsion testing or shear wave propagation.

3. What factors affect the shear modulus of jiggling jello?

The shear modulus of jiggling jello can be affected by several factors, including the type of gelatin used, the concentration of gelatin, and the temperature at which the jello is prepared. Other factors such as additives and mixing techniques can also impact the shear modulus.

4. How does the shear modulus of jiggling jello compare to other materials?

Jiggling jello typically has a lower shear modulus compared to most solid materials, such as metals or plastics. This is due to its gel-like consistency and lack of structural integrity.

5. Can the shear modulus of jiggling jello be changed?

Yes, the shear modulus of jiggling jello can be altered by changing the factors that affect it, such as the type or concentration of gelatin used. However, once the jello has set, its shear modulus will remain relatively constant unless it is exposed to extreme temperatures or other external forces.