Where Can I Find Advanced Scramjet Theory Online?

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mach
In summary, NASA's X-43A scramjet program has successfully achieved a record speed of nearly 10 times the speed of sound, demonstrating the potential of this radical new engine technology. The next step is to overcome challenges in achieving supersonic combustion with high reliability and designing a commercial engine. Resources for learning more about scramjet theory can be found on Wikipedia, but may be too basic for a seminar. Further research can be done through various scientific publications and articles available online.
meteor
There's a scramjet trying to achieve a velocity of Mach 10; it will do the flight on Monday, trying to improve the actual record of Mach 7. I hope it can achieve it. Here's an article
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996658

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you're porbably talking about nasa's x-43a. i hope the final flight that is scheduled on monday 15 nov will go fine. i have heard about this amazing research few weeks ago and i think it is very exciting. if you want to know more, the following link gives a closer look at the x-43a mission.

http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/x43-image-feature.html

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996686
yeahhh! :smile:
NASA's X-43A scramjet programme successfully smashed its own world speed record for aircraft by flying at nearly 10 times the speed of sound. The flight proves its radical, air-breathing engine can function at speeds of nearly 12,000 kilometres per hour.
12000 km/h is 200 km/s. Better no think about it :rolleyes:

What's the next step? According to wikipedia, the limit of the scramjet technology is superior to Mach 20...

Last edited:
meteor said:
Ya want to try that one again...? :uhh:

meteor said:
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996686
yeahhh! :smile:

What's the next step? According to wikipedia, the limit of the scramjet technology is superior to Mach 20...

Yes, NASA guys have achieved it. But do not forget it's only a subscaled model of a real engine (I think the aircraft is 1m lenght), and it has achieved such velocities only for a while. As far as I know, the Hyper-X project is going to be put apart by Bush derivating funds to Mars manned travel.

In my opinion, achieving a succesfull supersonic combustion with high reliability and enough controlling, and designing a commercial engine is far beyond. Only very little is know about what happens into the combustion chamber at that velocity, and how the engineers are going to deal with the high drag and extreme high aerothermal flux.

Anyway, congratulations to USA for this achievement. Also France and Japan sciencists have done a great job all over these years researching in supersonic combustion, so they have an small part of responsability at this event.

Ya want to try that one again...?
Ok, a little less, then :biggrin:

Scramjet' launched on Mach 10 flight attempt off California

A tiny unmanned NASA "scramjet" soared over the Pacific Ocean Tuesday to demonstrate a radical new engine technology by attempting to fly at a record speed of about 7,000 mph, almost 10 times the speed of sound.

The 12-foot-long X-43A supersonic combustion ramjet was to fly under its own power at Mach 10 for about 10 seconds after separating from a booster rocket at 110,000 feet, then glide to a splash landing.

The X-43A, mounted on a Pegasus rocket used to boost it to flight speed, was carried under the wing of a B-52 aircraft and released at an altitude of 40,000 feet over a test range off the Southern California coast. The rocket motor then fired for a 90-second ascent.

Like its predecessors, the X-43A will not be recovered from the ocean.

Reference:
http://archive.harktheherald.com/archive_detail.php?archiveFile=./pubfiles/prv/archive/2004/November/17/OtherNews/53155.xml&start=0&numPer=20&keyword=scramjet&sectionSearch=&begindate=1%2F1%2F1997&enddate=12%2F31%2F2004&authorSearch=&IncludeStories=1&pubsection=&page=&IncludePages=&IncludeImages=&mode=allwords&archive_pubname=Heraldextra.com%0A%09%09%09

Last edited by a moderator:
Pv

I've been asked to do a basic seminar on SCramjet in two weeks' time. Can you tell me where to find scramjet theory on the net? About the best place I found was Wikipedia, but that's just too basic.

1. What is a scramjet?

A scramjet, short for supersonic combustion ramjet, is a type of air-breathing jet engine that operates at hypersonic speeds (above Mach 5). It uses supersonic combustion to compress and heat the incoming air, which then creates thrust to propel the aircraft.

2. Why are scientists trying to achieve Mach 10 with a scramjet?

Achieving Mach 10 with a scramjet is a significant milestone in hypersonic flight research. It could lead to faster and more efficient air travel, as well as advancements in military technology and space exploration.

3. How does a scramjet differ from a traditional jet engine?

Unlike traditional jet engines, which compress and ignite fuel with rotating blades, a scramjet relies on the high speed of the aircraft to compress and ignite the fuel. This eliminates the need for heavy and complex moving parts, making scramjets lighter and more efficient.

4. What are the challenges in achieving Mach 10 with a scramjet?

One of the main challenges in achieving Mach 10 with a scramjet is managing the extreme temperatures and pressures that occur at hypersonic speeds. The materials used to construct the engine must be able to withstand these conditions without melting or deforming. Additionally, precise control of the airflow and fuel injection is crucial for successful operation.

5. How close are we to achieving Mach 10 with a scramjet?

Scientists have made significant progress in hypersonic flight research, with several successful test flights of scramjet-powered vehicles reaching speeds of Mach 5 and above. However, there are still technical challenges that need to be overcome before achieving Mach 10. It is difficult to predict an exact timeline, but with continued research and advancements in technology, it is certainly within reach.