Work Done By A Force of Constant Magnitude in Moving an Object in a Circle

In summary: But this equation doesn't hold because the second term in the parentheses is always negative. This means that the work done on the wagon is always negative, no matter what. This line of reasoning also leads to the same conclusion as the first.
Zach Knight

Homework Statement

A wagon is drawn by a student pulling with a constant force of F Newtons applied at an angle of θ° to the horizontal. If the wagon is drawn in a circle with radius r meters, how much work is done on the wagon? (I don't remember the actual numbers)

Homework Equations

W=F*d*cos(θ)
[itex]W=\int_{C}\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The teacher's solution manual proceeded as follows.
First, multiply the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle to the horizontal to obtain the force in the direction of motion. Then find the circumference of the circle to find the distance the wagon travels. Finally, find the product of these two quantities to find the work done on the wagon. This yields W=2[itex]\pi[/itex]rFcos(θ). I felt uneasy with this answer, though, so I began pondering the question on my own.

I considered the point on the circle where the wagon began and the point directly opposite it. I then imagined the wagon moved a small distance along the circle counterclockwise from both points. Since the magnitude of the force remains constant, and the displacements are in opposite directions, the work along the two paths should cancel. I continued this process until the whole circle was traversed and concluded that the work done must be zero.

I explained this line of reasoning to my teacher, but he denied its validity. I too was a bit uncertain because of its lack of rigor, so I approached the problem using line integrals.
I began by writing the displacement and force as functions of time. This yielded [itex]\vec{r}=r\cdot cos(\omega t)\hat{i}+r\cdot sin(\omega t)\hat{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{F}=F\cdot cos(\theta)\cdot cos(\omega t)\hat{i}+F\cdot cos(\theta)\cdot sin(\omega t)\hat{j}[/itex], where [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular speed of the wagon. I then found the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}[/itex], which was zero. The integral of this w.r.t. time from 0 to [itex]\frac{360}{\omega}[/itex] was also zero.

I showed this to my teacher, but he doesn't know calculus; he just denied my argument again. Is the book correct, or am I?

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnitude of the force may remain constant, but its direction changes all around the circle. In fact, it always points in the instantaneous direction of the motion. So there can be no cancellation -- the work is always positive when the force is in the same direction as the motion. The book is correct.

Okay. I think I see where I went wrong with the line integral approach too. Because the force is applied perpendicular to the motion, [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] should equal [itex]-F\cdot cos(\theta) \cdot sin(\omega t)\hat{i}+F\cdot cos(\theta) \cdot cos(\omega t)\hat{j}[/itex].

1. What is work done by a force of constant magnitude in moving an object in a circle?

Work done by a force of constant magnitude in moving an object in a circle refers to the amount of energy that is transferred from the force to the object as it moves in a circular path. It is a measure of the force's ability to cause a displacement in the object's position.

2. How is work calculated in this scenario?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In the case of a circular path, the distance is equal to the circumference of the circle, which is 2π times the radius of the circle.

3. What is the relationship between work and the radius of the circle?

The radius of the circle has a direct relationship with the work done by a force. As the radius increases, the distance the object moves increases, resulting in more work being done by the force. This is because the force has to act over a longer distance to maintain the circular motion.

4. Does the speed of the object affect the work done by the force?

No, the speed of the object does not affect the work done by the force. This is because the force is acting perpendicular to the direction of motion, so it does not contribute to the work done. The work done is solely dependent on the force and the distance the object moves.

5. Can the work done by the force be negative?

Yes, the work done by the force can be negative in certain cases. This occurs when the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object, resulting in negative work being done. In the case of a circular path, this can happen if the force is acting inwards while the object moves outwards.