Exploring Hexagonal, Face-Centered & Body-Centered Packings

• Thread starter BH20
  • Start date
In summary, there are three main types of packing: hexagonal closest packing, face-centred packing, and body-centered packing. Hexagonal packing is the most tightly packed, while body-centered packing is the least efficient. However, the packing efficiency for both face-centred and hexagonal packing is the same. The coordination number can be seen as the mass, while the packing refers to the volume of the packed spheres. The density is the relationship between the mass and volume, or the mass per unit volume.
BH20
Looking at hexagonal closest packing, face centred (or closest packing) and body-centered packing.

So I need to know abit about each.

I would think body-centered was the least efficient having looked at the arrangment. The main layer has to be centered a certain way to fit the rest..which means that he spheres are not close to each other but it looks more organized. Hexagonal looks the most packed to me.

I also need to know..in terms of volume how do thetwo more efficient ways of packing compare..and also what is the relationship between coordination number, packing and density (as mass/volume)?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
anybody have any idea?

all of this should be explained explicitly in you text.

all of this should be explained explicitly in your text.

ignore the previous post, it seems that the deletion function is not working.

Last edited:
Your text must also teach you how to derive the packing efficency/fraction. Once, you learn how this works, it's fairly simple to show that the FCC and HCP are both equally dense. Without actually doing the math, it's hard to compare pqacking efficiency.

Ok, I figured that part out.

I still don't see the relationship between coordination number, packing and density. (as mass/volume)

This is what I wrote: (makes sense to me, but I could be way off)

We can look at coordination number as mass, because it is the number of atoms
that are packed around the space lattices. While the packing refers to the volume since the type of packing is the way the spheres are structured. If they are placed a certain way they will occupy a bigger or lower volume. The density
is the relationship between those two (the mass per volume).

1. What are hexagonal, face-centered, and body-centered packings?

Hexagonal, face-centered, and body-centered packings are three different types of arrangements of particles in a crystalline solid. In hexagonal packing, particles are arranged in a honeycomb-like pattern, with each particle having six neighbors. In face-centered packing, particles are arranged in a cubic lattice with additional particles in the centers of each face. In body-centered packing, particles are arranged in a cubic lattice with an additional particle in the center of the cube.

2. What are the differences between these three types of packings?

The main difference between hexagonal, face-centered, and body-centered packings is the arrangement of particles and the number of neighbors each particle has. In hexagonal packing, particles have six neighbors, while in face-centered and body-centered packings, particles have eight neighbors. Additionally, the symmetry of the lattice structure is different for each type of packing.

3. What are the applications of hexagonal, face-centered, and body-centered packings?

These types of packings have various applications in material science, chemistry, and engineering. For example, hexagonal packing is often used in the production of ceramics and metals, as it allows for high strength and hardness. Face-centered packing is commonly found in metallic alloys, while body-centered packing is used in the production of steel and other metals.

4. How are these packings explored and studied?

Scientists use various experimental and computational techniques to explore and study these packings. X-ray crystallography and electron microscopy are commonly used to determine the structure of these packings. Computer simulations are also used to model and analyze the behavior of particles in these packings.

5. What are the potential future developments in the study of these packings?

As technology and research methods continue to advance, scientists are able to study these packings in more detail and at smaller scales. This may lead to a better understanding of the properties and behaviors of these packings, and potentially new applications in various industries. Additionally, research into new types of packings, such as non-spherical particles and non-periodic structures, may expand our understanding of crystalline solids even further.