Will a Floating Disk Rotate or Move Linearly if Force is Applied off Center?

In summary, if a rigid body, such as a disk, is floating in space and a force is exerted outside its center of mass, it will both rotate and start a linear move. This is because the center of mass is free to move and there is no fixed axis or force couple.
freephoton
if a rigid body, let's say a disk,is floating in space and we exert a force outside its center of mass will it rotate or just start a linear move? its center of mass is free to move.sorry if my English are not so good.I hope that you understood the question

Physics news on Phys.org
freephoton said:
if a rigid body, let's say a disk,is floating in space and we exert a force outside its center of mass will it rotate or just start a linear move? its center of mass is free to move.sorry if my English are not so good.I hope that you understood the question

It will do both.

thanks for the reply Chestermiller! Thats also what i think but because there is not fixed axis or a force couple i was not really sure.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force needed to rotate an object around its axis. It is often described as a twisting or turning force.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The unit of torque is typically newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law, torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. This means that a greater torque will result in a greater acceleration, and vice versa.

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the applied force is in the opposite direction of the rotation.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in many real-world applications, such as car engines, bicycle pedals, and door hinges. It is also important in industrial machinery and construction equipment to ensure proper functioning and safety.