What's the explanation of W+/e+ decay?

In summary, in an unstable atom, one down quark is transformed into an up quark through the release of a W- boson, which then decays into an electron. The mechanism for this decay is different from the decay of a neutron into a proton, where a W- boson creates an electron and anti-neutrino. The electromagnetic field of a proton is due to its quark composition and spin, while its stability is maintained by its lowest energy configuration. The release of photons is not involved in the beta decay process.
MarsGhost
One up and two downs are sitting in an unstable atom which will decay through Beta radiation. It decides to decay. One down is transformed into an up through the release of the W- particle, which decays into an electron. Basics.

What's the explanation of W+/e+ decay? Given set conditions, could an up or down indefinately release electrons and positrons? Or is the mechanism completely different?

Physics news on Phys.org
what's more interesting is when a neutron decays into a proton, releasing the W- boson which creates the electron and anti-neutrino, where does the creation of the electromagnetic field that the proton will have come into a feynmann diagram.

I mean a neutron has no electromagnetic field, but it still has 3 quarks (ddu) where the proton has (uud) however this comination, spin, quantum numbers has the ability to give the particle an EM field. So there must be some sort of particle field (possibly photons) which are created through beta decay of a neutron to a proton.

To answer the OP, protons are considered to be almost completely stable. There are, however, some cases where atoms experience positron emission, and a proton changes into a neutron by emitting a positron and the accompanying neutrino. They are fairly rare though, and I think it has to do with the peculiarities of the atomic structure, something I know very little about. Carbon-11 apparently sometimes may undergo this process. It only happens because the system is unstable with the number of protons currently available, and this makes an electroweak decay of a proton into a neutron somehow favorable.

On its own, a proton is ridiculously stable. Theory suggests that it may decay into a positron and a pion (the pion then dissolving into photons), but this has yet to be observed. Due to the searches carried out so far, the lower bound on the half-life of that particular decay is [tex]10^{36}[/tex] years.

You'll have to find someone who knows more to get a better answer.

Quarks are charged, and so already have electromagnetic fields before anything happens.

MarsGhost said:
What's the explanation of W+/e+ decay? Given set conditions, could an up or down indefinately release electrons and positrons? Or is the mechanism completely different?

Beta + decay is similar: u quark decays into d and W+ boson (which then decays into positron and neutrino). Example of this decay is what danAlwyn described. Energy is maintained by the fact that the final nuclei has lowest energy configuration (that's why it's only possible with protons bound in a nuclei).

As to the second post, EM force between neutron and proton is solely due to their spins. I think this effect is used in neutron scattering experiments on a crystal lattice, for studying lattice vibrations. On a small distances in a nuclei, nuclear force is the dominant one and I guess (since my professor never talked about spin-spin interaction between nucleons) we can ignore it. EM force has nothing to do with beta decays (as I see, it can be ignored), so no photons are emitted.

1. What is W+/e+ decay?

W+/e+ decay is a type of radioactive decay that occurs when a W+ particle or an electron (e+) is emitted from a nucleus, resulting in the transformation of one element into another.

2. What causes W+/e+ decay to occur?

W+/e+ decay occurs due to the instability of certain nuclei, which have an excess of either protons or neutrons. This excess leads to the emission of a W+ particle or an electron in order to achieve a more stable state.

3. How is W+/e+ decay different from other types of radioactive decay?

W+/e+ decay is a type of beta decay, which involves the transformation of a neutron into a proton or vice versa. However, unlike other types of beta decay, W+/e+ decay results in the emission of a W+ particle or an electron instead of a beta particle.

4. What is the significance of W+/e+ decay in particle physics?

W+/e+ decay is one of the fundamental processes in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is responsible for the weak nuclear force, which plays a crucial role in the interactions between particles and is responsible for processes such as nuclear fusion in the sun.

5. Can W+/e+ decay be observed in everyday life?

W+/e+ decay is a rare occurrence and is not typically observed in everyday life. However, it can be observed in certain nuclear reactions or in high-energy particle collisions, which are studied in particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider.